• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fender flares

NorCalChris

NAXJA Forum User
so i got pulled over by the chp today and he reamed me. no flares, no mud flaps, tinted windows, missing my passenger mirror, pulling a trailer doing 80 and driving in the number 1 lane. im trying to get some tj flares and was thinking about buying some aftermarket tj flares. like the 7 inch ones. this is so, because i plan on doing a full width swap in the near future. what flares are you guys and gals running

hahah. yea. i had my quad. headed down to pismo beach for the weekend. just so happens that my crawler thought it was a baja truck. End result: ripped my lower control mounts off and bent my re trac bar. oh yea and rammed my drive line into my down pipe crushing it, smashing the breakline ontop of the rear axle and bending in my tip which happens to sit relativley close to the rear axle because of my engineering. haha.. all in all. a great weekend because my quad didnt break!

I am running stock TJ flares

Photo_062008_001.jpg

Well I know that different states do have different requirements as flares. Up here in AK you can only have your tires stick out 1" past your flares "legally". If you were pulling 80 in a 55 with a trailer that is a totally different issue, he was probably throwing everything that he could see at you. I grew up in Bakersfield so I know that they can be a-holes at times but CHP will at times pull over rigs that are limited to 55mph, going faster even if its with the flow of traffic. Sometimes the laws are more like guidlines but remember if you do go beyond them then don't be pissed when you get into trouble for it. By the way has the trailer speed limit gone above 55Mph, I remember that being the maximum speed?

Edit: PS: Oh to answer your question I am running some bushwacker; but my rig only sees street time in the winter months and on gravel roads to or from the trails. They are not wide enough for my full axle swap that I am running, and backspacing would cause a rubbing issue in the front I think. I have seen some of the prettier rigs like Kodiak's version of mall crawlers run rubber flaps in addition to fender flares and mudd flaps to keep it legal; but it looks horrible.

Last edited:
Back