• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Not for Highway Use" - Goodyear MT/R???

ocean_jet

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,
I bought a used set of Goodyear MT/Rs, and when I went to mount them, I noticed that they are stamped with the words "Not For Highway Use". (Didn't notice this when I looked at them.)

The guy I bought them from told me that they were made for racing, but he thought the only difference from "regular" MT/Rs was a stronger sidewall.

Do all MT/Rs say this on them?

Is this a safety warning, or just a suggestion?

I plan on using these tires on highways to get to trails, but will get different ones if this is a safety problem.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

what size are they? do they actually say MTR on them? They are probably the competition only GDY's. Are they radial or bias ply?
They say that because they were designed for ohv use but I wouldnt think that its a safety problem. ALL Pro Offroad has an FJ with those same tires(they bring them to us for mounting/balancing) and they cruise around with them

Last edited:
ManBearPig said:
what size are they? do they actually say MTR on them? They are probably the competition only GDY's. Are they radial or bias ply?
They say that because they were designed for ohv use but I wouldnt think that its a safety problem. ALL Pro Offroad has an FJ with those same tires(they bring them to us for mounting/balancing) and they cruise around with them

They are 35x12.5x15. They do say Goodyear MT/R on them. They have the exact same tread pattern I have seen on other MT/Rs.

I am pretty sure it said radial, but I will check when I get home from work.

Thanks.

as far as I know - no company has ever made a 'sticky' tire in the 35" size for rock crawling...

No, they are actually tires that had a defect during the production process and are not intended for use on roads. I have seen this on many other tires before from BFG's to Dunlops. There have been tire places that have got in trouble for selling these tires for highway vehicles. I know of a guy that bought a set of BFG mud terrains with this stamped on the inside of the tires and he had one of them blow out on the highway. I would be very reluctant to run these on the road.

Hope this helps.

If thats the case it would have "BLEM" stamped on the sidewall.

JXPEEJ said:
Those are the same tires the PRO trucks run...I had some on my buggy....they were too tore up to race but they worked fine on my buggy.

So I got in touch with the guy I bought them from, and that's what he said. He said he is pretty sure they say Not for highway use because they were protruck race tires.

He also said he put tons of highway miles on them.

Checked and they are radials.

They were all made in the same week, so, I would think that they probably weren't all manufacturing defects. Plus, I checked a few other sites that state that tire producers will put "blem" tires into service only if there is a cosmetic blemish. Anything other than cosmetic blemishes are destroyed. I feel pretty good that they weren't manufacturing defects.

I'm thinking they will be ok??

Thanks for the comments.

JXPEEJ said:
Those are the same tires the PRO trucks run...I had some on my buggy....they were too tore up to race but they worked fine on my buggy.

That is accurate, Goodyear may not have made a rockcrawling tire, but they did make race compounds for stadium and desert racing...and that is probably what they are. Many people run these on there daily driven pre-runners with no issues.

I have seen other brands of truck tires say not for highway use,like they were the spare tire or something.I could never find the difference between those and the same tire that didnt say not for highway use.I still used them for the highway with no probs for about 10k miles till they wore out.

JXPEEJ said:

Because you never drive it...

Back