• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE speedo gear swap

jeepxj89

NAXJA Forum User
i bought a transfercase from a 00' xj with an sye in it from a buddy of mine. his xj was an 88 but he had the whole 2000 running gear installed into it. now my question is his xj used the cable for the speedometer readout, and mine uses the electric speedo readout . how hard is it to swap these two? never done speedo gears or anything of the sort before. does it just unscrew out? or do i have to take the rear sye housing off?

Use what came out of yours.Internals in the TC are the same.Only difference is the gear styles between the cable and electronic senders.Just remove the 1 bolt holding the unit in and pull it out.Replace O-ring if necessary.The sender housing has notches on it that corrispond(sp) to the # of teeth on the gear. Rotate the housing so the retainer fits in the notch that matches the tooth count on the gear.
Try here for more info www.go.jeep-xj.info Wayne [QUOTE=...ave to take the rear sye housing off?[/QUOTE]

Use what came out of yours.Internals in the TC are the same.Only difference is the gear styles between the cable and electronic senders.Just remove the 1 bolt holding the unit in and pull it out.Replace O-ring if necessary.The sender housing has notches on it that corrispond(sp) to the # of teeth on the gear. Rotate the housing so the retainer fits in the notch that matches the tooth count on the gear.
Try here for more info www.go.jeep-xj.info
Wayne

jeepxj89 said:
i bought a transfercase from a 00' xj with an sye in it from a buddy of mine. his xj was an 88 but he had the whole 2000 running gear installed into it. now my question is his xj used the cable for the speedometer readout, and mine uses the electric speedo readout . how hard is it to swap these two? never done speedo gears or anything of the sort before. does it just unscrew out? or do i have to take the rear sye housing off?

Back