• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can an XJ run on biodiesel?

bosco01xj

NAXJA Forum User
I know not with the current engine. Is there any chance to swap in a diesel engine in an xj? I really wanna get a biodiesel project off the ground!!!

yes

I'm pretty sure that some earlier XJ's were fitted with a little 2.5 liter diesel motor, might be something to look into.

holy crap. you guys are getting me excited. i'm looking into that. would an engine swap be pretty easy from a 4.0 liter to a 2.5 deisel?

I believe Ecomike has a Nissan Diesel motor in his XJ. You could PM hes pretty knowledgeable, im sure he'd help you out.

Good luck finding one of those 2.1s. I've been on the look for that engine for quite some time and haven't been able to locate one. Their production in the U.S. was very limited due to our country's aversion to diesel engines, so you may want to start your search in Canada.

you can find diesel cherokees on ebay every now and then. It wasn't a horrible engine, but not the best either. Finding parts for them can be pretty difficult.

It would probably be easier to swap in a liberty diesel motor. There are also talks of mopar offering a diesel swap kit in the near future.

Nissan SD33 can work as well. It was used in CJ10 tugs and in International Scouts.

bosco01xj said:
holy crap. you guys are getting me excited. i'm looking into that. would an engine swap be pretty easy from a 4.0 liter to a 2.5 deisel?

Yea the ones here had a french engine, i cant remember what it was maybe renault? idk but it sucked bad, and its french so everything is different on it. If your gonna do it, id say find some isuzu diesel to swap in, or the diesel engine they used in the over-sears XJs

yes, they had a renault "french" diesel. a guy locally here had one for sale but it was missing some parts so i didn't get it. They are hard to find part for. If you could find one complete it would be a pretty good swap for a bio project. Or...you could get one of the new over seas wrangler diesels...now that would be sweet.

i vote 4 cyl cummins all the way!

but whenever i decide its time to do something else with the xj i'm goin to cut up the front frame and put my big block chevy in it and have a little fun....

i've heard that the four cylinder in those frieghtliner sprinter trucks is relatively easy to swap in, and i've driven one of those for work for a while. they have some serious gittyup goin on, and the one i was driving got something like 30 mpg. you could go to greasecar.com and get a conversion kit to make that bad boy run on used veggie oil. you could hit up burger king on a weekly basis and drive for the cheap cheap.

great idea for the deep pocket crowd. ive been looking for a possible swap into a cherokee for a while. the major draw back for the unibody is weight of the diesel motor. most possibilities are very heavy. the lighter duty motors from what i hear will be under powered for the application like the vw motor. it all depends on what you ar willin to put out into it and then live with. check the jeep2diesel forum for what has been done. great luck in your quest sir and please keep us posted!!

Ok i have a question on this one. Could you do the mod to a daily driver? How can you get away with it with having to smog them? I am not sure if you all have to smog but we do here in California? Could it be done or would i have to make mine a total trail rig

Back