• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP-231 experts. Input gear bearing questions

Brett M

NAXJA Forum User
My question is this. I've got a case from a 1996 XJ, standard NP-231J, 23 spline input. I'm swapping in a SYE from Tera, along with a 2 Low kit. However, being that my Jeep is an 89 Renix rig, my trans is a 21 spline output. I've been able to find a 21 spline thick/wide/larger bearing input gears, but so far no 21 spline narrow bearings, like the one that's already in the case (23 spline inpute, narrow bearing.)

So the question is, can I change out the front support bearing on the case to a wide bearing and use the wide bearing input gear? I know I need the short input gear too, but I can't find much about changing the bearing....

Thanks for you help folks

I dont get the question?If your just doing a sye kit and a 2low,just use all your own parts!

RCP Phx said:
I dont get the question?If your just doing a sye kit and a 2low,just use all your own parts!

My XJ uses a AW4 with a 21 spline output on it. The 231 that I picked up is a 23 spline input. I need to find an input gear in 21 spline for the 231.

Does that make more sense?

Yes,a little.So why not just switch the SYE and 4lo to your transfer case?

Novak should have it,have you called them?

RCP Phx said:
Novak should have it,have you called them?

Yep, I've talked to Ken there and unforunately, their website is out of date. They don't carry the gear that I need anymore. I've emailed Eric up there to see if he's got a part number or app so I can find one, just waiting to hear back.

Back