• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bastard Pack parts

HogWash

NAXJA Forum User
I went to 2 of my local auto parts store and found that none of them carry the parts I need,center pin and leaf clamps .......any suggestions on wereI can get this stuff?For centering pins can I just use a pair of 5/16 nuts and bolts?And what about the clamps?

Napa should have centerpins and ubolts.I got mine at the local store ,but I did have to take them the sizes.

For center pins I always use allen head bolts and a nylock nut.Forget the exact size but they are metric grade 10.9 or what ever it is that's the same as grade 8.

OlyWa

bowhunter said:
Napa should have centerpins and ubolts.I got mine at the local store ,but I did have to take them the sizes.
Well I got the u-bolts from rustys along time ago when I got my 2in blocks.Thay are a little long though.Still debating weather or not to use the blocks when I do the bastard pack.I guess Ill find out when the leafs are in.

I reused the clamps that came with my AAL. Worked fine. For center pins, I used SHCS's(Socket Head Cap Screws). Those worked fine too.

socket_head_cap_screw.jpg

rocklizardfabrications said:
To make the leaf spring clamps, I needed to make a trip to the local hardware store, where I picked up four 3.5" x 5/16" Grade 8 bolts, four 5/16" nuts, eight 5/16" washers, and a 4' long piece of flat steel bar 3/16" thick and 1" wide. To make the spring clamps, I cut four 7" long pieces, found the center of each piece and made a line 1.25" to the left and right of the center (totaling 2.5" for the width of the leaf springs). I marked a spot 3/16" from each end of each of the 7" long pieces in the center, where I drilled 5/16" holes for the bolts. After drilling the holes, I made a 90* bend at the two lines that I marked 1.25" from the center of the pieces. After finishing this, I painted the clamps to prevent rust, and here is the finished product:
100_0160.jpg

http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm

I did my clamps similar to theirs, worked great!

I used the same mentioned allen head bolts for center pins, with a nyloc nut.

U bolts can be had at the local auto parts store, but I bought mine from a local spring shop.

I also like Woody's idea on the pads between the leafs. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=86542

HTH.

Back