• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is this? (Be Gentile)

lhilt89xj

NAXJA Forum User
I think this is the "wheel bearing", Im adding a pic to clarify, but it looks like a little U-joint attaching to the back of the rotor. Whatever it is, I think its gone bad, and it's causing all kinds of nasty noises. (bad pic, sry had to take from my phone). Also, is it safe to drive home from work on it?

*sigh*
pv4nhx7b7m713pyuoony.jpg

That is your front axle shaft u-joint. It needs to be replaced. It should be ok to drive a short distance on.

To replace, remove wheel and brakes, remove hub, (3 12 point bolts) and then pull out axle and hub. Replace u-joint, or take it to the shop and have them do it, then reinstall.

Since I am not Jewish you are safe... I will be Gentile. :doh:

lhilt89xj said:
I think this is the "wheel bearing", Im adding a pic to clarify, but it looks like a little U-joint attaching to the back of the rotor. Whatever it is, I think its gone bad, and it's causing all kinds of nasty noises. (bad pic, sry had to take from my phone). Also, is it safe to drive home from work on it?

*sigh*
pv4nhx7b7m713pyuoony.jpg

DOH! 'Gentle'

looks like these are roughly 8.99 from autozone... is this something that can be done in a couple hours? Ive done U-joints on the driveshaft, so this cant be too much harder can it?

lhilt89xj said:
DOH! 'Gentle'

looks like these are roughly 8.99 from autozone... is this something that can be done in a couple hours? Ive done U-joints on the driveshaft, so this cant be too much harder can it?

The hardest part of the whole process can be (but not always) is getting the hub assembly out/off. Don't bother seperating the hub bearing and the axle, just take them out as one unit. If you have done driveshaft u-joints you are set. These wheel joints have an inside lock clip so you can just pop them off with a flat head screw driver. have fun

yes it can be done in a couple hours. however, if this joint has been there many years there is a possibility it will difficult to loosen/remove the caps without bending the ears (yoke)...don't ask how i know :). you may want to allow more time so that you can use some penatrating oil and gentle coaxing to help get the caps out without ruining the yokes. hth.

thanks to everyone for your help. I will get this done! Does anyone know the size of those 12 point bolts? They appear to be no bigger than 9/16 but Im borrowing those sockets from a family member, so I just want to be sure.

The 12 pt. bolts on the back of the hub are 13mm make sure you have the 12pt. a 6pt socket will not due. Im doing this today after work.

Good luck!!!

PB blast is your friend
I drove with busted u-joints in my dodge for close to 6 months, including some stints in 4x4 in the snow pushing a plow. you should be fine for a couple of days.

Golly, I tried for 2 hours to get the stupid assy. out of there. The actual front axle assy is free, but it's the hub assy which I cant get out. Does the whole thing (including the piece the bolts threded into from the steering knuckle) come out, or just the portion where the lugbolts are in and the assy with it?

Im going to grab a wheel puller tomorrow, but man am I frustrated:smsoap:

check out the link in post right above yours. It shows a trick to help get them out. Basically a bolt between the inner C and the wheel u-joint it works great. Mine is an 89 also and I can tell you when I did both of mine they were deff in there.

When you try to take them out, there are 2 types... one with clips that hold them in. the factory ones come with some rubber that holds them in place. Just did mine (after driving with it like yours for almost a year) and my mechanic had me torch... after a bit the plastic/rubber melted and shot out the side... and then it was really easy to pound them out.
have fun....
by torch, i mean oxy acetelene, not propane... i expect that'd take forever with propane...
later

makkman said:
When you try to take them out, there are 2 types... one with clips that hold them in. the factory ones come with some rubber that holds them in place. Just did mine (after driving with it like yours for almost a year) and my mechanic had me torch... after a bit the plastic/rubber melted and shot out the side... and then it was really easy to pound them out.
have fun....
by torch, i mean oxy acetelene, not propane... i expect that'd take forever with propane...
later
I have not encounter the plastic "snake maker "u joints on a cherokee yet

Back