• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

snapping/popping under hard braking?

XJ98Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Every now and then when I have to get on the brakes hard, I hear a loud snap/pop coming from what sounds like the driver's side of my axle. It doesn't happen all that often, but it definitely is not one of those sounds you ignore. Any ideas?

I have recently noticed the same thing on my 98 classic. Today I was trying to get into 4L but i couldn't. I put it in neutral and coasted down the hill a little ways, pushed hard on my brakes until i heard the pop, then I was easily able to pull the lever into 4L. I know that doesn't answer your question but I thought it might be helpful...

Check the brakes. loose caliper bolt maybe, pads so worn they're about to fall out? Sway bar end links and bushings- I'd just pull the wheel and look for anything that might be loose, also look for any metal on metal rubbing. check all ball and socket type joints for excess play, just throwing out ideas. hope it helps.

I have a 98 and have similar issues. Mine is caused by the brake pads "hopping" in the bracket. The caliper bracket had a rather large gouge in the upper brake pad slide. It also lets the pad bounce at low speeds making a horrible thumping sound. I can tap the brakes and it goes away. The next time I have the axle out I'm going to fix that problem. Either WJ stuff or just weld and grind the bracket back into shape.

XJ98Jeep said:
Every now and then when I have to get on the brakes hard, I hear a loud snap/pop coming from what sounds like the driver's side of my axle. It doesn't happen all that often, but it definitely is not one of those sounds you ignore. Any ideas?
Check your control arm mounts,sounds like you have a loose one!

I'll check the calipers, LCAs, and U-joints next time I go outside. EMR, if it's a light popping that sounds like your trackbar, but this is a loud pop, like I can hear it with my radio going full blast.

I do indeed have a front locker. It's a Detroit True-Trac. And actually now that I think about it, the popping does always happen in 4WD...

Back