• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thinkin ZJ

luvdlions

NAXJA Forum User
Just wanted to let you all know the search for a off road vehicle continues. I have been considering a ZJ. I would like to find one with a straight six and a 231, but I would consider the V8 and 231. The main reason for my thoughts of this is because of the rear coil sprigs. I am more into the JeepSpeed stuff than the Rock Crawling and my belief is that the coils would work better on the uneven terrain of the desert. I know the front of my XJ handled the whoops better than the rear. I'm sure everyone has an opinion, so feel free to share.

all you have to do is get the right set of leafs, and a good set of shocks. none of the jeepspeed guys run rear coils, and they go a helluva lot faster than us ;)

ive got a set of deaver jeepspeed leaves that i could part with.......

Not to mention the 42re transmission behind ZJs with i6's are horrible. This coming from a guy who had a 94 ZJ before I bought a 99 XJ. The ZJ was on it's 3rd transmission.

A well set up rear suspension will do way better than just the average lift kit can provide. You can make your XJ handle a lot better than the coil sprung ZJ and you will do so a lot cheaper than tricking out a zj.

Dammit Jim, I was waiting to see who would jump on those.

Anyways, zj's are nice, however it will be priceier to get it to run like an xj in the desert. Have Silverslk take u for a ride, and you'll see the xjs do just fine if well set up! ;)

silverslk said:
HAHA. The funny thing is I already had hit Ben up on those Deavers......BLACKSHEEP BABY!!!!! haha

Yeah, so did I...but there's more to my story....

silverslk said:
Yeah, he PM'd me "Justin in Redlands" and I knew who. :bawl:

If you change your mind.........:eyes:

the're not mine yet....

Back on topic...The ZJ would be a good wife jeep. My wife drives a WJ, would I off road one? preobably not.

A ZJ is nice, just not worth the coin to lift it correctly. Plus your choice of rear ends sucks D35 or D44 aluminum

JUstin

silverslk said:
Yeah, he PM'd me "Justin in Redlands" and I knew who. :bawl:

If you change your mind.........:eyes:

the're not mine yet....

Back on topic...The ZJ would be a good wife jeep. My wife drives a WJ, would I off road one? preobably not.

A ZJ is nice, just not worth the coin to lift it correctly. Plus your choice of rear ends sucks D35 or D44 aluminum

JUstin

tharlanjr said:
My 97 ZJ with the 5.2 V8 kicks butt out at the desert, I have the RE 3.5 SF with 1" spacers up front, gotta love the V-8 power...

This thing is BA...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJFgnhcwi2A

I actually saw that on youtube before I posted here. Is it really your rig, how fast were you going in the video? It seems like it handles the desert great. I'm all about going fast!

xjjeeper19 said:
the're not mine yet....

JUstin

everyone here swaps out Dana 35's all the time. So, I don't see how that would be a deal breaker.

Now someone, mentioned the tranny's being weak behind the I6, now that could be as deal breaker. Guess I'd just have to go with the V8.

luvdlions said:
everyone here swaps out Dana 35's all the time. So, I don't see how that would be a deal breaker.

Now someone, mentioned the tranny's being weak behind the I6, now that could be as deal breaker. Guess I'd just have to go with the V8.

It would be more indepth swap because of all the brackets, it's not a deal breaker, just more fab work.

The trans is on the weak side, and the 4.0L in the grand is a little disapointing compared to the 5.2L. However the 5.2 has it's own set of problems too. Bed plate leaks causing oil consumption, heads crack between valves, and on the older ones you have to deal with the EGR crap.

I thought about one, and I would buy one, only because they are dirt cheep, and I can get parts for next to nothing. All and all I bought a WJ with a 4.7L because it gets way better MPG's

Justin

luvdlions said:
I actually saw that on youtube before I posted here. Is it really your rig, how fast were you going in the video? It seems like it handles the desert great. I'm all about going fast!

No way, that was def not mine, lol

I was just showing what they are capable of doing

Eventually I want mine to have a LA kit setup for baja, but for now its 4.5 SA with poss 33's next week...

Back