• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 or 242?

Ol' Red

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, the names Rush, and first off I just became a member of the site and love it. I have owned a few different Jeeps, but I have never owned an XJ, and I want to buy one. I found a good deal on one but it needs a transfer case, and was wondering if the 91's (Laredo) uses the 231 or 242 transfer case. Thanks in advance for your time, Rush.

Both cases could be found in any XJ from 87 on....(the pre-87 models used different cases)

Easy way to tell what it should have in it:

Look at the console (if it's there), if the plate for the t-case lever says 2HI 4HI N 4LO then it is the NP231 or Command-trac case.

If the plate says 2HI 4Part time 4 Full time N 4 LO then it had the NP242 or Selectrac case.

If the plate is gone or the console is missing, any dealer shoudl be able to tellyou what the case should be by the VIN.

BTW, welcome aboard!!

Don't get it.
It will own you. It will take all your time, money and then soul.
Ok, but take one last look at the wife and kiddies. It will be the last time you see them.
You say I can quit any time I want. We all said that.
Run,run as fast as you can and get a Tracker. There's a 4WD you can walk away from.
LUCK:)

Sounds like a song I know...

The Eagles and Hotel California......

I was running for the door
I had to find the passage back to the place I was before
Relax said the nightman
We are programed to recieve
You can check out any time you like
But you can never leave......

Ol' Red said:
Hey guys, the names Rush, and first off I just became a member of the site and love it. I have owned a few different Jeeps, but I have never owned an XJ, and I want to buy one. I found a good deal on one but it needs a transfer case, and was wondering if the 91's (Laredo) uses the 231 or 242 transfer case. Thanks in advance for your time, Rush.

Get under the Jeep and look at the back of the T-case. There will be a round tag on the rear of the case. On the top of the tag under New Process Gear it will be stamped either model 231 or 242.

Here is a pic. http://www.novak-adapt.com/images/pics/transfer_cases/np231_tag_view.jpg

Alright guys, I'll check it out. Thanks for the help. I found another XJ that runs good, but owner said there is a knocking noise coming from the engine when it is cranked up and when you stomp the gas pedal to the floor. He said he has had it for 2 months and never gotten any worse or caused any trouble, and said it might be an oil pump shaft. I can buy this thing for CHEAP, but dont want to get something and then have the engine crap out on me. It is just going to be used as a trail rig, maybe a little driving to the trail, but not a lot. Has anybody ever had similar symptoms in their XJ?

Last edited:
badron said:
Don't get it.
It will own you. It will take all your time, money and then soul.
Ok, but take one last look at the wife and kiddies. It will be the last time you see them.
You say I can quit any time I want. We all said that.
Run,run as fast as you can and get a Tracker. There's a 4WD you can walk away from.
LUCK:)

This is such crap! They told me the same thing about getting married and I have as much free time as I... What dear? Little Billy needs his teeth brushed, ok. But honey Billy is 23 now, no ok, sure I understand... well guys I gotta go. :helpme:

Back