• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6 lug unit bearings

gorman

NAXJA Forum User
Have anybody ever experimented taking the front unit bearing hubs apart and doing some kind of conversion on them to take normal wheel bearings or something similar? I know they are known to not be serviceable, but I would really like to convert mine to 6 lugs without using spacer/adapters.

Alternatively, has anyone tried to make suitable replacements in 6 lug format.

I currently have 6 lug to 5 lug wheel adapters/spacers on the rear axle, but would have liked to change everything to 6 lug is possible.

do Dakotas have unit bearings? Are they interchangeable with XJs? I've never looked into it but that would be a possibility as they are 6 lug.

Seeing that I'm doing a WJ knuckle swap in any case, I wondered about the use of GC hubs. They are 5 on 5 stud spacing, but being a little wider than the XJ hubs, could it be that there is enough meat to maybe redrill the spacing to 6 on 5.5 spacing?

you could press apart the jeep unit bearing and just use the base, then press apart another bearing with the correct mounting flange for the wheel and press those two together. it would take a little searching work, but is doable.

I looked into this alittle earlier this summer.

A 1/2 ton chevy unit bearing appears to have the same mount pattern as the D-30 unit bearing ( as close as I can measure), but is 6 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern.

A Dodge 1/2 ton (94+) stub shaft has the same spline count as the chevy hub and uses a 297 u-joint. It appears the stub will slide into the chevy hub (again as close as I can measure).

spacers will likely be needed either under the chevy bearing or between the stub and bearing to get everything to line up correctly like on a WJ knuckle swap.

I found a few options for brake discs, but I decided I would assemble it all then decide which brakes to use for sure. The swap may also have to be done ( or might be easier at least) on a WJ knuckle.

Or there's the 44-30 hybrid a few people have done, which gets you locking hubs.

I dropped the project when I decided to go 8 lug on my trail truck, and I decided to leave the wifes XJ 5x4.5. 8 lug and 31's doesn"t make a lot of sense, besides, now her DD liberty, her wheeler, and our utility trailer we take on camping trips all have the same bolt pattern.

-Mike

FYI:
The early model unit bearings were serviceable.I had an 86 xj with the 2.5 motor and napa's machine shop replaced the bearings in the hubs....cost like $25 per side.
The later models went to non-serviceable unit bearings.

HTH

Back