• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Average life (in miles) of an OE starter/solenoid

rocknxj

NAXJA Forum User
I found my problem while searching for symptoms of a bad starter (see XJ not startin sometimes, maybe starter, please confirm. ). I would like to know from those that have replaced a stater or solenoid the number of miles your OE starter finally bit the big one.

I'm not quite in the 100,000 mile club but my starter is acting up on my '99. When did you replace yours? Would a cheaper Pick and Pull starter be worth the risk?

AFAIK, I'm still on the original starter in my 94 w/ 225k plus miles. Bought it with 44k on it.

And on the other end of the spectrum...I'm on my 5th starter. I bought it at 94k now have 154k :D

I've never replaced a solenoid. I did have one with a rip in the rubber cover (probably built in there) that allowed the piston to rust. Cleaned it up and packed it with Vaseline, glued the crack in rubber boot closed. The starter was built in 87 and is in my 96 now (3rd XJ).
I have replaced a bunch of brushes, a few bearings, one bendix with a burr I just couldn't seem to sand out of the shaft and even an over running clutch once.
Filling your starter with muddy water can wear down the bushes fast. An oil leak onto the starter can find it's way inside and mess up the contact at the brushes. Other than the wring, the brushes are the major cause of intermittent malfunction.
I usually get 100-130,000 miles out of a set of brushes. But I clean my starters out after a mud bath.

Considering that one person might use their starter once every 100 miles while another might use it 10 times every hundred miles I don't think that mileage is a useful gauge to measure starter life.

yardape said:
Considering that one person might use their starter once every 100 miles while another might use it 10 times every hundred miles I don't think that mileage is a useful gauge to measure starter life.

Agreed, but since most of us don't actually count the number of times we start our vehicles on a regular basis, number of miles is an adequate measurement for an average lifespan of a starting mechanism, at least in a non-scientific forum such as this. I was attempting to avoid wild guesses and conjecture.

Other than asking the lifespan of a starter based on number of unknown starts, average temperature and humidity conditions for the operational area, and length of time whilst holding the key in the start position, please share with us a better method for determining an OE starter lifecycle. I eagerly await your pedantic reply.

rocknxj said:
Agreed, but since most of us don't actually count the number of times we start our vehicles on a regular basis, number of miles is an adequate measurement for an average lifespan of a starting mechanism, at least in a non-scientific forum such as this. I was attempting to avoid wild guesses and conjecture.

Other than asking the lifespan of a starter based on number of unknown starts, average temperature and humidity conditions for the operational area, and length of time whilst holding the key in the start position, please share with us a better method for determining an OE starter lifecycle. I eagerly await your pedantic reply.

Hmmmm, in an attempt to wow me with big words and lots of condescending attitude I'm going to say to you that any numbers you come up with as average, won't have any real-life application. The life of a starter all depends on individual driving habits which is basically where I was coming from in the first place. Anything derived from your methodology would be to quote you "wild guesses and conjecture,..." and on that note you can continue this conversation with the others.

Starters go when they go. I've had some that have lasted forever and some go out fast becuase of abuse.

Want your starter to last a long time? Follow these guidelines:

1: Don't run it for over 10 seconds, give it a full minute to cool between any 10 second long runs. The starter creates a LOT of heat, heat is what kills it.

2: Keep it clean. Starters hate oil!

3: Don't use it.

See, it's simple.

Hmm, my offroad rig has had 2 replaced in 3 years. They don't like water, no I haven't started my rig in water, its just from water crossings. My DD is an 87 and I replaced it because it had started to crank slower and I figured it was about time. My DD had one that looked pretty original since the PO did no real maintenance, very evident by the rust on everything and about the same amount of rust on everything.

The solenoid on my '98 gave up around 117k and was replaced with a new Crown pair that just had the starter itself crap out today at 120k:mad: We were going to try and Frankenstein the two, but it started pouring shorty after getting the jack out of the garage:twak: Had planned on going to the local RC rock crawling comp.....needless to say, I'm not there now like I was supposed to be:gee:

My contribution to stats: 87 - 235K when sold, original starter; 93 - new starter at about 190K owing to solenoid failure; 95 - 262K, original starter still cranking; 99 - 207K, original (as far as I know) still cranking.

2000 4.0, auto. Started cranking slow at about 103K. One Sunday, no crank(strong click, hummmm) Pulled it apart. Brushes worn down. 1(of 4) was not making good contact. Cleaned the hell out of it and it lasted for another 2 months.

rocknxj said:
I found my problem while searching for symptoms of a bad starter (see XJ not startin sometimes, maybe starter, please confirm. ). I would like to know from those that have replaced a stater or solenoid the number of miles your OE starter finally bit the big one.

I'm not quite in the 100,000 mile club but my starter is acting up on my '99. When did you replace yours? Would a cheaper Pick and Pull starter be worth the risk?

Who cares when the 1st one dies? They work until they stop working, then you replace them. Pick your source based on what you feel comfortable with, new, rebuilt, or used.

Zuki-Ron said:
Who cares when the 1st one dies? They work until they stop working, then you replace them. Pick your source based on what you feel comfortable with, new, rebuilt, or used.

+1

If the $50 junkyard pull gets you back on the road faster it's an easy choice. Otherwise get something fresh and clean.

I just pulled mine at 212k miles and it was the original. It was slow cranking, so I replaced the rotting positive cable after which it got worse and then just click-click. Pulled out the meter and I have 12.5 volts on the starter itself, so either the solenoid is burnt or the brushes are wornout. Being oil-soaked from a valve cover leak probably didn't help.

Back