• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C Compressor swap to "No A/C Pulley"

matt_vt

NAXJA Forum User
Hey y'all.

2000 XJ 4.0

A/C Compressor bearings went and roasted the clutch assembly, snapping my v-belt.

78227143.gif

I never use A/C and just want to pull the thing out. I haven't been able to confirm the existence of the pully and bracket (for a 2000) I want to put-in to replace the A/C compressor. I have found a couple of threads on the subject:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=949542&highlight=idler+pully+AC

and

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=522862

Replacing the bearings is not an option. I bent the clutch plate while pulling it off and sure enough there was all kinds of metal shavings and roasted bearings in there.

I searched on ebay and was only able to find what looked like parts for earlier Jeeps.

This is basically the part I need below, but for a 2000 XJ -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-9...003QQitemZ130237558243QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Any advice would be great!

Thanks,
Matt

put in a recycled compressor (50 bucks or so), and just don't get it recharged.

Wow, where did you find a recycled compressor for $50???

Local yard says $175 used... $300 new.

To get the parts from the stealership to bypass the compressor -

Bracket $129
Pulley $43
Belt $60
Bushing and bolts - $10-15

Non-AC XJ's have a pulley in-place instead of the compressor, I believe.

I cannot find any way to do this with a shorter belt since the config of the pulleys will not allow simply swapping the belt and pulling the A/C compressor out.

i had almost the exact same prob in my 98. there is no way to route another belt. i tried at least 4 diff length belts and to no avail i came up with no solution. i found a cheap ass compressor at a junk yard but out side side of machining a pulley get up ur screwed. the older grand cherokees have some kind of ac delete kit you could try that.

matt_vt said:
Wow, where did you find a recycled compressor for $50???

Local yard says $175 used... $300 new.

To get the parts from the stealership to bypass the compressor -

Bracket $129
Pulley $43
Belt $60
Bushing and bolts - $10-15

www.car-part.com

www.ebay.com

No dice on either of those sites. car-part.com has nothing close to $50 a/c compressors and ebay doesn't have them for a cherokee, only grand cherokees.

Thanks anyway

What if you converted to a Taurus fan? GoJeep has a write up and he wacked the whole fan pulley and bearing and rerouted the belt. You might get it to work with no compressor and no fan pully. Or remount the alternator in the old compressor location? I think I've seen a write up from the deep water guys.

hmm, taurus fan? what year, etc. What is the deal? is the taurus fan electric or something? I would be interested if the taurus fan upgrade would allow me to get rid of the A/C unit altogether. That is the goal here, to eliminate it for the lowest cost. I have no-need for it. Thanks for your reply.

It's a pretty common swap- basically, you remove the mech fan and clutch, mount the electric fan over the radiator, and wire in a controller. You can do some searching on here and find a couple of writeups, or visit GoJeep's website here.
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoTaurusFanInstall1.htm

However, that's not going to be the cheapest route. I would look into the bypass pulleys they make for the Cherokees and Grands first- they might work on yours as well, according to some of the discussions I've read. You might be able to compare dimensions and determine if it works, or could be made to work, and return it to the store intact for a refund if not. Just a thought.

Did you try the Jeep dealership? That's where I got mine for my '98. I don't know if they had a no A/C option for 2000, but it sure seems like they did at least in a TJ. It's a very simple solution to eliminating the A/C compressor.

Ok, Here are the dealer prices for the "no A/C Pulley" and bracket -

Bracket $129
Pulley $43.30
Bushing $4.10
Bolt $2.90
Bolts (3) $4.50
Belt $59.20

Total parts from local dealer (Willie Racine Jeep) - $243.30

I can get the belt from NAPA for $30.59

I found some brackets and pulleys on ebay, yet I do not know if they will work on my XJ. Here is the best bet I believe - 93-00 Jeep Grand Cherokee Dodge A/C Bypass Pulley NEW (http://tinyurl.com/5srd8y) $29.95 - I asked the seller if it will fit a 2000 XJ. We shall see.

Local yard has A/C compressors for $175 used and $300 new. I would have to get it installed and charged which will probably be around $100 for labor. So with a new one - $400.

I guess this would be the best bet if the pulley/bracket works from ebay -

Pulley and bracket - $29.95 (from ebay)
Belt - $30.59 (from NAPA)
Bushing - $4.10 (from dealer)
Bolt - $2.90 (from dealer)
Bolts (3) - $4.50 (from dealer)
estimated labor at local shop (I was told I would have to decompress the A/C to remove it, I don't know how to do that) - $100

Total - $172.04

Back