• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Decisions, Decisions.....

88manche

NAXJA Forum User
After this last weekend's run, I'm thinking of a 4.0 swap. I know, I know, theres lots of reasons to just buy a jeep with a 4.0 in it, but I figure I can do it for right around 500-600 bucks. I'm also debating the switch from the AX15 to the AW4, if I can get a motor/trans combo.

Heres my gripe with the 2.5. NO POWER. Its also carb'd, which means stalling on hills that I need momentum on (happened a couple times this weekend). It would be a good trade off if I got better milage than the 4.0, but I don't. Infact, I get a little worse. Terry (juniorXJ) and I were both on full when we left portland. We both drove out there at the same speed, and wheeled the same trails, and drove back together. He had used just over 1/4 tank, I had used over a 1/2 tank.

I don't mind the work thats going to be involved with the 4.0 swap. IMO, its worth it. I wouldn't be able to find a jeep is as good of condition as mine (NO RUST, very minor dents on non replacable body panels, Everything works) for as cheap as I could do a swap.

I guess I just need to make the final decision and start gettin the parts.

I had a YJ once with the fuel injected 2.5. I thought it would be cool to build it up and be the guy who can do it all with the 4 banger. I yanked it, bored, ported, 4.0 Throttle body, MSD ignition, even did an electric supercharger and gibson exhuast. After all of that money invested, it was still a turd getting to the trails, even though it had lots of power when I hit 4-lo. Moral of the story .. if you can get yourself setup with a 4.0 for under $1000 ... its worth every penny. Good luck with your swap =)

Thats what I'm thinkin. I actually thought about buildin this one up, but with 230,000 something miles, its not really worth it. I'm suprised I haven't blown it up on some of the 5 grand pulls (for me) at TSF.

What are my other options for a swap if I do this? I know a 3.8 from a camero will work, but what trans/t case will I have to use? Whatever v8 they put in grand's I've seen in an XJ, and then little diesels, but I really don't wanna go that route.

IF your handle is a description of your Heep, the 4.0L WILL NOT FIT without madding the firewall and maving the radiator and it support about an inch forward....

In 87 AMC redesigned the XJ for the extra length of the stand up six. Massaging the firewall and moving the radiator forward created the extra room....

Your best bet with the carb'd 4 holer is to swap in a GM crate V6. Just go into the dealer parts department and ask about the diffferent S-10 V6 crate motors. The 2.8 to 3.1 or 3.4 swap is fairly popular......

I don't think I've met anyone online or in person that has said the swap was worth it. They all thought a 4.3 vortec or a V8 swap would be more beneficial.

Of course the swap is worth it to get added power and torque; but everyone's saying that it's just easier to swap all of your parts on to a cheap 4.0l cherokee than it would be to change yours to a 4.0.

Back