• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C Compressor

VTEK1

NAXJA Forum User
With the electrical problems fixed I was sitting pretty high on cloud 9 until i was on my way up to Maine to visit the wife (my girlfriend) when i decided that hey it's wicked hot and I'll try out my A/C since i hardly ever use it (minus when i use the window defrost in the winter) put it on and something smelled weird, figure haven't used the A/C prolly just needs to get going, well it never really got COLD, so i shut it off, truck was running great still, so later in my 4 hour drive i decided I'll give it another go, ICE COLD so nice to have it working correctly, radio nice and loud, and a nice ice cold ice tea on a 95 degree day. Parked at my gf house then the next morning started the truck to get some coffee and noticed a funny noise thought it was the alternator but the sound is coming from the compressor (I'm almost 100% sure) so it must be the clutch assembly on the drive wheel??? on the front of the compressor????? I'm hoping so, anyone know what else it could be. Noticed the oil pressure isn't staying very constant like 30 or sometime 50 and then when i get on the highway it might stay at 55 and the go down to 40 or 30 it's the weirdest thing, there isn't a realy pattern to it. I replaced the oil pressure sensor last summer when i busted it off change the oil. Let me know what you think. I ordered a compressor already so hopefully that will change everything for the better. PLEASE HELP!!!

Yes, the funny smell is the metal and bearings in the clutch assembly on the drive wheel of the compressor. Mine just seized this morning and I am on here trying to see if I can just pull it out and get a shorter belt.

I know for a fact you can't just get a shorter belt because (depending on the year of your jeep) alternators are placed on a different mount in jeep without the A/C and those with A/C. Rock auto.com sells a/c compressors for really good money, $230 i paid for mine getting installed monday.

Yeah, mine did that when it seized too, stop using the a/c, you will shred the belt.

My XJ compressor just went out yesterday on our way home from Portland, OR to Idaho. About 80 miles into our trip the A/C quite working. After about another hour, we pulled in for gas and heard the grinding. We had no choice but to go on. We made it home and when I started the Jeep five minutes later, the compressor was frozen solid... lucky

I am having same problems. I strongly believe the A/C clutch is done. The clutch assembly does not rotate smoothly. When the A/C is engaged, the belt stops moving.

Since I just had the A/C recharged, I dont want to replace the compressor.

Do I just need to replace the clutch assembly or the whole compressor and clutch assembly?

Next question: How do you get the clutch assembly off the compressor?

What i've found in this whole situation it's about the ame price to just replace the compressor instaed of just doing the clutch. I believe there is a bolt on the front of the compressor (facing the radiator) that you can screw of but it's really hard to get at when it's in the jeep. Then it might leak and you don't want anything to get into the compressor otherwise you will have some serious problems and you'll end of replacing the compressor anyways. rockauto.com sells compressor at a really good price. They are out of Iowa and it got to my house in MA in 2 days. Everything is 2 days shipping with them. Just get a new compressor and have it installed unless you got the vacum machine and you know how to do that (i don't). hope that helps.

Back