• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing tow-kit

Dest

NAXJA Forum User
Was just curious as to the difficulty of installing a tow kit on a stock 96 XJ. I watched the install of one onto a 97 on youtube and it doesn't look too difficult but want to know if there will be any differences. I believe the 96 and the 97 have different gas tanks (only thing I'd think of that could possibly get in the way). Also how much do new tow-kits run for, or would pulling one out of a jy be alright? If so what years should I limit myself too? Thanks everybody.

rogersjeep said:
87-01 will work.
Just remember to get the nut strips from inside the frame rail.
I got mine for about $25 at the JY

X2 on the sill reinforcement strips. Without them I've seen where the little insert nuts that come with some of the aftermarket hitches have pulled darn near throuh the frame rail. All due to those smaller ones getting loose and wallowing out the holes.

You do have to pull the bumper off to get the sill reinforcements up into the frame rails and possibly move the tailpipe hanger.

Thanks for the info, I'll probably head out to the jy tomorrow and see what they've got. I'm assuming the bumper is just a couple of bolts? Also before I go and do this, this will handle a small car right? Whats the safest way to go about it after I've got the kit on?

Last edited:
No sill reinforcement strips? Don't want give them your first born for new once's.
File square holes in washer so a carriage bolts will drop in (OK a PTA) grind a flat side on washer. This flat side of washer will engage the rail wall and keep carriage bolt that was super glued into the washer from turning.
Twist a long stiff wire onto end of carriage bolt. Bend a small hook at the lose end into wire. Then snake hook down rail after removing bumper into hole of rail. Pull bolt/washer into hole with wire. Then pull wire through holes in hitch/skid/bumper or the order that works for you.
Most carriage bolts are grade 5. If that's ok with you. I tow 4280 LB all day with grade 5 and did some hard recovers too. No problems.

A good bud is hard to find.
Even harder to lose.
Work safe.

Last edited:
The nut strips are pretty cheap from the dealer if you go that route. I wasn't impressed by the hardware that came with my hitch.

well I figure if its attached to a vehicle already it should have them, but if they don't for some reason I'll go get some.

Any thoughts on attaching the car? Anyone know about the legalities of lights and such as well?

Lights are easiest if you use magnetic mount or already have some on the trailer that you use to tow the vehicle on. I recommend the trailer since most states also now require the towed vehicle to have a braking system that is actuated by the towing vehicle. A dolly will also work and may be better since it will keep the tow weight down. What do you intend to tow?

If it's limited towing, then I would just rent a tow dolly. The have the necessary lights and brakes and will be the lightest option besides flat towing. It's it's more extensive towing, then you can invest in a braking system and lights to flat tow it or buy a tow dolly. Either one will cost about the same.

It will most likely be 1 trip from MA to WV, but if renting one and owning one cost the same I don't see a reason to not just buy one for myself. What places aside from u-haul rent row dollys? Thanks for all the info too.

Dest said:
Is it difficult to rig up the lights?
No there is a plug n play kit sold at most sites that deal with it. I am ordering one from www.jeepinoutfitters.com its like 26 bucks and plugs in behind your spare tire(on the 97+ anyways) BTW just go ahead and order both nutstrips from the factory MUCH EASIER THAN TAPPING ONE OUT INSIDE THE FRAME!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Dest, I tow my '00 XJ behind my motorhome on all four tires (dinghy towing or Toad). I use magnetic lights on the XJ for signal/brakes. I don't use a braking system in my XJ, because the combined weight of the MH and XJ is less than the GVWR of the MH alone (I am within the safe brake design limits of the MH.) Auxiliary brakes ARE NOT REQUIRED in most states for toads, but are for trailers (major source of misinformation). Make sure the car you are planning to tow is allowed to be towed behind another vehicle. Many cars with auto tranny and/or front wheel drive are not. Read the owners manual. Here's a great site for dinghy towing: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum/31.cfm

When I installed my Hidden Hitch on my XJ (from etrailers), I also installed the towing wiring harness in the compartment behind the spare tire. It changes the light circuit from separate amber signal & red brake lights to combined red signal & brake lights.

HTH, Fran

Does anyone know where else to rent a tow dolly from? As much as I'd like to own one, I don't know where I'd keep it at school. The U-haul website says my XJ (96 2D 4x4) isn't heavy enough to pull a Nissan 200SX. 0.o

Back