• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shock location?

whitneyj

NAXJA Forum User
I just swapped my 9" in and am building a new crossmember to weld in place of the stock upper rear shock mount. Now, I'm a little new to all of this, so bare with me here. For travel purposes I'd want the longest shock I can fit under my jeep, obviously not using the shock as a bumpstop, correct? Now in order for me to run a longer travel shock, does it make sense to increase the angle the shocks are mounted in the rear. For example, mount the shocks just to the inside of the leaves on the bottom, then for the top have the mounts as far inboard as possible. Does that sound correct? Is there an operating angle for the shocks I should adhear to?

You want them as vertical as possible,the more you lay them over they become more inaffective.

so I'd be better off keeping the rear upper mounts stock you're saying? besides cutting the floorboards and building a cage for them, the stock unit is about as high as I can go. . .

what he means is the more you angle a shock the less effective it becomes. The more vertical its postion the more dampening effect it has. But yes you can run a short ass shock and angle them in a lot to work with your suspensoin's full range of motion... but that would be almost useless. Just sharing some tech here...

Obviously the factory upper shock locations have them angled inward some. which is fine. just build somethin like that and go with it. Ive already showed you how i built mine. You should just take that as an idea and make one in between the frame rails and up by the floor or through the floor if you want. Dunno why unless your gonna be bo and luke duke'n that bish...

I appreciate the help, I was shooting for using a much longer shock if I could, but it seems that the stock upper mounts will suffice for now. I'm trying to keep a real low COG, so the room under my jeep is limited, so I'm just going to keep the uppers and burn my shock mounts back in the stock location.

Back