• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Floorboards getting really really hot

DC_Cherokee_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
A little bit ago my wife and I Hurculined the XJ and when i drive it for a bit I've noticed that the floorboards are getting really really hot, like too hot to touch.
Driving it for a while i dont need the heater on if its a cold night because the floor is heating me up.

Any suggestions, quick fixes...

Thanks guys

DC_Cherokee_XJ said:
A little bit ago my wife and I Hurculined the XJ and when i drive it for a bit I've noticed that the floorboards are getting really really hot, like too hot to touch.
Driving it for a while i dont need the heater on if its a cold night because the floor is heating me up.

Any suggestions, quick fixes...

Thanks guys

Put the carpet+insulation back in.

It sounds like you have 1 of 2 problems. First, check to see if you have big rusty holes where your floor pans used to be, or second you may have a clogged cat. At night time run it for a while and see if the cat is glowing. Have you had any loss of power, failed emissions, or strange noises lately?

Durango-Bob said:
Install a heat shield between the cat / muffler and the floorboard. That will help some.

Thats what i was thinking as well but wanted to get some insight first.

89CherokeePioneer said:

I kinda took it out for a reason cause i didnt want to have to deal with the carpet getting dirty from wheelin/camping/river hangout..

88 Wagonman said:
It sounds like you have 1 of 2 problems. First, check to see if you have big rusty holes where your floor pans used to be, or second you may have a clogged cat. At night time run it for a while and see if the cat is glowing. Have you had any loss of power, failed emissions, or strange noises lately?

No holes at all. clogged cat ill have to check, and as far as loss of power or strange noises, nothing. I am gonna check the glowing suggestion though..

Thanks for the help.. anything else coming to mind

89CherokeePioneer said:
thats a bad idea.... i was wheelin at the dunes one time when i still had carpet in mine, the carmet started melting and smoking. if i didnt have a passanger in the backseat who told me about it at the time, i would have kept driving and my shit would have probley caught fire.

DC_Cherokee_XJ said:
I kinda took it out for a reason cause i didnt want to have to deal with the carpet getting dirty from wheelin/camping/river hangout..
I wouldn't use carpet but some kind of insulating floor covering is the only thing that is going to make the floor cool to the touch again. They have vinyl/rubber floor coverings that are easy to maintain, and with some foam padding they work just as well.

I removed my carpet and padding to rid myself of some rust, ever since then when I am on the beach for a while, my floors do get VERY warm.

Enough heat in the tranny tunnel to make it uncomfortable, but not burning hot. My rear passenger floor stays nice and cool, so no cat issues here....

If it burns to the touch, then somethings wrong. Even after three hours of fartin' around in the sand, I can still touch my trans tunnel and floors bare handed without injury.....

I believe there is an AW4 to blame there(unless you have a 5-speed)

I have a 5 sp and had the same prob on mine huculined., I undercoated it pretty good above the cat and trans when I did the clutch and it seemed to help, but think a heat shield would be the best idea. Don't get me wrong it still gets hot, but it no longer melts plastic. I looking for a rubber I can just poor in at this point, i think the herculine is to think.

$30 - $50 at pep boys... They have three different sizes. I'd get the middle size if it's really cooking. The biggest might be a tight fit, but if you're sure it will fit you could even get the biggest. My trans is not running too hot that I know of, but I was gonna get the small one for piece of mind, and to help relieve some of the heat out of the rad. You cant beat the price, and it's the same unit Jegs sells.

xj88superjeep said:
$30 - $50 at pep boys... They have three different sizes. I'd get the middle size if it's really cooking. The biggest might be a tight fit, but if you're sure it will fit you could even get the biggest. My trans is not running too hot that I know of, but I was gonna get the small one for piece of mind, and to help relieve some of the heat out of the rad. You cant beat the price, and it's the same unit Jegs sells.

Anywhere else ? i looked at pep boys and the clostest one is Puyallup and Everett. Im in Tualatin oregon.

How hard would it be to install it if i ordered it

You can get a good one from summit or even jegs has some that are inexpensive. They are simple to install. pop the grill off, reroute the lines to and from the radiator, and use those plastic clamps included to tie it in front of the condenser on the mechanical fan side of the rad. button everything back up, and done.

xj88superjeep said:
You can get a good one from summit or even jegs has some that are inexpensive. They are simple to install. pop the grill off, reroute the lines to and from the radiator, and use those plastic clamps included to tie it in front of the condenser on the mechanical fan side of the rad. button everything back up, and done.

Awesome. thanks for the help xj88superjeep. Will this for sure cool down the hot floorboards.. if not have a good thing to have

DC_Cherokee_XJ said:

I've got all my carpet and insulation out for the same reason. I use a couple pieces of heavy-duty outdoor door mats to cover parts of my floor and tranny tunnel, cut to fit but just laid in place (not glued in). I did it at first mainly for the heat, but found it also cuts road noise and makes clean-up easier.

Back