• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trac bar rattling

Cubby23

NAXJA Forum User
It seems that my trac bar is rattling and after inspection it is. I tried tightening it all the way but the bolt stops and never seems actually tight. This is at the passenger side attachemnt of course. It still wobbles. What can I do? I have a 3.5" RE kit should I really get an adjustable trac bar? Is there a new bushing I could buy? Also what is that tab on the back that comes down? I hate the noise and how loose it makes my front end. And I just got an alignment yesterday I'm going to take it back again hopin they will fix it.

Oh yeah, and Hi

An adjustable or longer trackbar is a good idea for a 3.5" lift. The "tab" that hangs down is the Capture Nut on the other side of the bolt. You need to crank down on the bolt until its tight. Your housing might be spread out some and you need to clamp it back down. You might pull that end completely out and make sure your bushing is okay and that there is a metal sleeve on the inside of the bushing. No metal sleeve and you'll never get the track bar right.

Ah good point about the housing. It seems like there is a 1/16" space. I'll try clamping it. God the sound and looseness is drivign me nuts.

Skwerly said:
Could a nice thick washer be utilized? I would try that before risking the threads in that castle nut!

That was my next thought my friend. I'll see if I can put a washer within the assembly. Can I do this?

I'd suspect you've got a couple of problems.

First of all, you've already probably egged out that hole. If there's any slop in it, it *WILL* loosen up again. Think about welding a hard washer of the exact size to fix one side in place.

Secondly, anything that you can do to get the assembly tight will help you out.

I just did some more work to tighten it. It did help a little, but its going back to the guy who did the alignment. I'm going to tell him to make sure the whole front end is tightened properly.

Back