• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hatch mounted spare

badron

NAXJA Forum User
I been looking at this for a winter project. I have worked out the internal bracing. A cabin operated hand hatch release. I have wanted one of them for some time. I'm sure a remote hatch release should not be a big problem. I know in time with hard offing and a big tire the hinges and latch will be beat to death. But why should the hatch be treated any better then the rest of the XJ.
The big problem is the hatch lift pistons. I could install an extra set to compensate for the extra weight. But would the hatch then fly up at a unsafe rate when the spare is off? If so what could be done about it? Any ideas would be helpfull

Last edited:
I doubt if you could get enough lift force out of the lift assist cylinders to get it to raise easily - even with an extra set if you could figure out a way to mount them. But if you figure out a way to do it, I'd love to see it.

winkosmosis said:
The hatch is structural right? Does that mean putting that much stress on the hinges is a bad idea?

Will it wear out the hinges faster then normal I say yes. Will it fall/pull off in a rollover. I think not. The hinges are a stout peace of work. (IMO)

If you have a 1996 or before with a fiberglass hatch the hatch will break in half at the base of the window.
If you have a late Cherokee it might work with reenforcement, or it may bend.
Look for a factory, body mounted spare or get an after market bumper with tire mount.

Just my opinion.

The hatch stays closed 99.99% of the time so it is usually braced against the sides and therefore should be able to withstand bouncing around and whatnot pretty well. If it's open when you rollover, then yeah of course it will break and/or fold, maybe at the hinges, maybe in the hatch itself.

As for lift assist, some luxury cars had power trunk release and pull-down motors. You might be able to cross the wiring on the pulldown motor and have it push-up instead. I don't know if that will get you all the way up, since the hatch has more travel than a typical hood. Maybe an Escalade has what you want. Another option would be to use some air struts from a small car, then you could push air to open and pull air to close.

I thought about doing this myself then went with the rack like everyone else. As far as shocks go just get stronger ones instead of adding a set I get ones at work rated to 150lbs each and just did a set of lambo doors that the props were rated to 600lbs. I would search for the stronger props you just have to change the mounts for them.

badron said:
The big problem is the hatch lift pistons.
Coil-overs.

How about a "Y" shaped tire holder that connects the hinge mounts at the top down to the latch at the base? That would take the stress off the hatch when it's open. 'Still have to reinforce the lift cylinder mounts and install heavier lifts, but,...

Thanks for all the replies and ideas.
Stronger pistons would be the smarter way to go.
"Coil over the stock pistons." I was things of this but don't think the stock piston would be able to slow the opening without the spare on board and someone would be needing dental work before long.
"Body mount the spare" Yes for the slush box XJ that almost never leave the road. I like it. Put a 235 tire on the right hand rear 1/4 panel. Tight to the body. Back there is a dead zone so there would be little or no added air resistance. Easy for the new ball chain to get to if needed. Also simple and CHEAP all the things I like. Thanks to all.

badron said:
Will it wear out the hinges faster then normal I say yes. Will it fall/pull off in a rollover. I think not. The hinges are a stout peace of work. (IMO)

buwahahahaaa

The hinges ARE kinda sout, but the hatch is not. The hatch will disintegrate on a good roll. Even without a tire attached to it.

I seem to recall a thread maybe 3-4 years ago where the idea was to build new hinges over/near the factory stock hinges. They supported a framework that held the tire and mounted to a single point on the bumper. I think the top hinges were mounted to a modified heavy rack, or possibly it was part of an exo cage...

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Use a suicide door kit that hot rodders use to convert the old Mercs with 300 pound doors to suicide doors. Those things are stout! Then convert the hatch to a swing out hatch with a hidden kick latch. Probably cost more than a bumper mounted tire setup, but the window frame wouldnt have to support the weight that way. Seen a few suicide door conversions, and the whole kit is available out of the hot rod magazines. Pricey though if I remember correctly.

Back