• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Change AC Evaporator, Anyone done it themselves??

kthrash

NAXJA Forum User
Got a 97 Cherokee SE, Dealer claims has a bad AC Evaporator Core. Has anyone on here changed one themselves??

I understand you have to disassemble the dash which does not sound too difficult.. just time consumming, and since I have another vehicle I can take my time with it. I can buy the part at ACkits.com for $105.00..

Any Advice from anyone that has done it??

Yeah, disconect the lines under the hood that go to the little square block.

you only pull the lower cover of dash off (ashtray sits in it). You get to pull everything under pass side dash to get it out, and the heater core is in the same box as the A/C and the blower motor will need to come out as well. Check under the windshield resivor for a few bolts around the blower to get it out the rest of the way. (did this on my '93, hope it helps)

Hole project is pain in ass. I did it to sell the system and found out the person buying it has a CJ and it has sepperate boxes for the A/C and heater. Put it all back in again, minus hooking it up.

I too have a leak at the evaporator (so my dealer says after dye test) seems like this is a trend on late model XJ's. 10 hour est. on labor-- and a $1200 bill. Can ya believe it? I suffered through a hot summer because DC can't design their A/C system! Where's the recall on evap's?

kthrash said:
I understand you have to disassemble the dash which does not sound too difficult.. just time consumming, and since I have another vehicle I can take my time with it.

Umm, you can take your time with it but as M. Lake said, the project is a pain in the ass. Oh yes! I had to replace my heater core which is next to the evaporator and I swore I would sell my truck before I ever did it again. First, you need to take your rig to an AC shop and have the system evacuated. Be sure they give you credit for the freon they removed because you will have to recharge the system later. Do NOT simply discharge the system into the atmosphere. I'm assuming you have an R12 system. Anyway, you begin by removing the lower dash plate and then loosening the upper dash from the cabin side walls and steering column so that you can rotate it up a couple inches. This will give you the room necessary to drop the heater box from underneath the dash assembly. Now the real fun begins--to remove the heater box, you get to stand on your head and disconnect duct work, cables, vacuum lines, and assorted electrical crap. From under the hood disconnect the heater lines and AC lines, unbolt the box from the firewall, and drop the thing down from the dash. You should then see the evaporator and heater core. Replace and reverse. Generally, try to keep a mental checklist of all the things you disconnected so that you won't have to fiddle around under the dash once the box is back in place.

Erik
88 Comanche

Re: Re: Change AC Evaporator, Anyone done it themselves??

Erik the Red said:
I'm assuming you have an R12 system. Erik
88 Comanche

Actually it is Factory R134, I plan on getting it evacuted then replacing all parts associated then taking it to get evacuated and refilled.

Thanks for all the replies but has anyone done this on a 97 or newer Cherokee?? The dash is slightly different than the older ones.

Well, actually replacing the heater core on mine wasn't too bad. The evaporator core would have been just one more step. I was able to do it in one evening. I had the AC recharged later.
The Haynes manual has very detailed procedure for replacing the heater core. I followed their prodedure and was done before I knew it! The big secret is removing the main dash support bolt on the passenger side and shoving a block of wood in between to give good clearence to work behind the dash.

I guess I need to get the Haynes manual. The problem that I'm having is that I can't find all of the bolts that need to be removed.

It's a lot easier if you take out the passenger seat. On my '90 it was only 4 bolts. Takes less than a minute to do all 4 with an air wrench.
For the dash, I believe you only need to loosen two bolts, one on each end and tilt it up for access. Definitely get the Haynes manual if you have nothing else for reference.

Back