• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 ax15 into 95 4.0, input bearing problem

spirit of 76

NAXJA Forum User
I have a rebuilt ax15, clutch, and t-case from a 92 YJ. Trying to fit into my 95 XJ. Intend to go with the 95 bellhousing and external slave cylinder. I think I have all the linkage and driveshaft issues worked out.

My problem is this: The end of the input shaft on the 92 ax15 is smaller than the one on the 95. The bearing that fits the 92 shaft is too big to fit into my 95 4.0 crank. Anyone know of a bearing that will fit?

The dealership suggested having my crank machined but there's got to be an easier way. I thought of having a sleeve made to increase the size of my output shaft so I can use a 95 bearing???

Specs as best I can measure:

92 input shaft OD: 15 mm (0.59")

95 crank ID: 25.6 mm (1")

Thanks in advance.

Did this trans come out of a 4-cyl YJ? I thought all 4.0's were the same...?

You may need to have a custom pilot bushing made, that'd be easier than having the crank machined. A sleeve on the input shaft may work too.

The 92 YJ ax15 definately had a 6 cyl. in front of it - I saw it before it was pulled. I think the input shaft sizes changed in 94 as the pilot bearings are different part #'s from 93 to 94.

maybe it was a 4.2 engine, looks verry simular at first glance but has many differnces. also maybe it isnt the origonal trans for the yj could account for some differnces

Something comes to mind about a 197-something CJ w/304 & 3-speed manual. Search for a thread called something like "Let this be THE Peugeot to AX-15 swap thread!".

I've made a couple more notes on my experiences (swapped 1989 AX-15 into 1988 XJ, turned out the pilot was the same size as the Peugeot - about .585", I believe.)

5-90

Haven't had time - still in pieces. Intend to have sleeve machined for the 92 shaft so that the 95 bearing will fit onto it - will let u know if this works.

As far as the CJ bearing, I did read about that before but I think it pertains to putting a newer tranny into an older 4.0 not the other way around. I will re-read it though to be sure.

Thanks for the input...still open for suggestions if anyone knows an easier way.

Back