• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie from Western Washington

Çrestfa||en

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys I just joined the forums a couple days ago. Me and a couple of my friends been 4 wheeling around the sultan basin area. I'm driving a stock XJ 1990 with front and rear sway bars removed, lots of mods planned for the future. My Favorite past time is taking an hour to drive 40yards up steep sand covered hills. Seems you guys are trying to form a northwest chapter here, I'd like to join if there was one or help out. If there is anything I need to do before hand just say.

Havent decided on joining yet but I live in Everett WA. I have a 90' with a 3" lift 31x10.5 swamper SSRS, rock Krawler Adjustable LCA's and just started trimming my fenders. We should get together. I just went to the ORV park in Tahuya last weeken with my Toyo-Duh buddies. I had the smallest lift/tire combo and went everywhere they did "4 Yodas and a jeep went in, 1 Yoda and a jeep came out".HA HA.
Let me know. We were talking bout going to walker valley on Labor day.

Dan

cool I am in snohomish. Me and friend took a guy from our work to a hill up in sultan we owned it in our stock xjs and he got nowhere in his toy. My friends dad might get me a free 3inch lift but if I dont get it I'll buy one and install it my self looking at 31x10.50s too. After that I am going for a rear locker. If ya wana trade phone #s email me. I got labor day off. I dont know where many good trails are got my jeep a month ago.

-Carl

Çrestfa||en said:
I'm driving a stock XJ 1990 with front and rear sway bars removed

Welcome to the board.

I'm hoping that you didn't completely remove your front swaybar, as that could seriously effect your handling and be dangerous to yourself and others.

You may want to check into a set of quick disconnects.

Enjoy.

John

PS I spent the last few years up there in Ft Lewis, it's truly gods country up there. I'll be back in 2005/6:D :D :D

I've been driving since I got it with both completely removed. If I get a lift I will put the front on again but it really isn't that bad once you get the feel of it. Of course you have to use common sense while driving it anyway. The XJs already are more prone to roll over. For higher speed off road stuff it's great I was doing 30 through a dirt road with holes and puddles every couple yards and never took a wheel off the ground. And going down big hills with ruts the huge gain in articulation it gives me actually prevented roll overs. But I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who likes to speed I never do over 60 ussually only 55, and corner at 10-25 mph. Just be safe and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Yeah it's a long-standing debate that folks like to get into. Unfortunately it usually ends with a moderator locking the thread down so everyone can cool off. I've learned to just not say anything about it since it could set people off. :)

That said, thanks for looking us up. We're still in our "new" phase and haven't discussed full Chapter status very much. I think we're still figuring out when/where to have a gathering of folks. In the meantime it can't hurt to become a full NAXJA member though, since you do need it to be part of the official chapter. :)

I agree to disagree....Just kidding. It seems to be the debate of debates about the swaybar. I have had both off for about 3 weeks now and I can handle it but wouldnt let my wife drive it. I drive on the freeway all the time. I also have a 3" lift with 31 x 10.5 Swamper SSR's. I will be getting/making some disco's soon but for now it works the way it is. Hey Çrestfa||en, got your email and will reply soon. Labor day is out for me now. Got too much other stuff to do.

soon
Dpc

seattle, WA

does anyone live in seattle or bellevue? my buddies and i usually run up to reiter pit or walker valley. anybody want to go 4wheeling. actually i have do do some work on my XJ first, but it'll be ready to go this spring break. i'm going from 6-8"

shimmy said:
does anyone live in seattle or bellevue? my buddies and i usually run up to reiter pit or walker valley. anybody want to go 4wheeling. actually i have do do some work on my XJ first, but it'll be ready to go this spring break. i'm going from 6-8"

I'd be up for it, I've avoided most tough trails but I am at 3inches and got a locker now so I want to try some more stuff.

hey

There's good trails up in the mtns if you are up for the drive. As for good trails in western Wa, I wouldnt really know, i'm a drysider myself (yakima area) so i grew up runnin up in the white/chinook pass area. My xj is gonna be running a 3.5'' with 31 AT mudders when I get back. I wouldnt remove the sway bars, but then again thats me. Everyone's got their own personal pref. Hey GI John, hopefully I"ll be at lewis this winter, then I can check out the wheeling in the back 40!

Kris

We were there sat. 2/7/04 ,It`s by Bremerton /Belfair area .It`s a D.N.R. Orv area , it was a good day , good time and good people in the group of 8...

I love the area of Tahuya I have not wheeled their yet but used to ride horses their and camp I wanted to let you all know about the PNW work Party their for the 28th of Febuary 2004 it is to help match funding to keep the area open it is an easy place to find just past belfair state park and up Effendal pass road.
I can't wait to go their with my cherokee . How are the trails conditions their recently ? Is it Muddy? Anyway glad to here that some of you know the area or want to explore the area. just watch out for other user's like moter bikes and Horses and have fun playing with your 4x4's. :)
By the way I am currently a member of United Four Wheel Drive association, PNW< and are Mud Toy 4x4 club Secretary so any event's or info in Washington, Pacific Northwest Area you want to pass on to others I would be glad to do that. always willing to help out.

The trails were wet in spots but not muddy. There is a fair amount of standing water in some areas. I actually discovered Tayhua from mountainbiking, so I'm always looking out for who else is on the trail.

So what exactly is going on the 28th? Is it a trail work day? If so is there a website explaining the details? At any rate I may be able help out. I have done trail work in the Capitol State Forest in the past, but that was for horse/hiker/bike trails.

Shoot me an e-mail with more details.

[email protected]

howdy ya'll,

Another newbie transplant here, just got back from the sand box and brought my rig up from CA, and now I am itchin for some off road fun, currently stationed in Ft Lewis "Med Hold" (something about not being able to fight with shrapnel in yer body) ya I think it is BS too. but I figure that while I am here I check out the local areas, although the only places I can find as of yet is the back 40 and I not sure what areas are good and what areas are impact ranges, (that last part is probably the most important). can anyone point me in a direction of a Ft Lewis club or a place to have some fun?

but I was surfing the net and found this link so I decided to drop a line, now I might not drive a XJ, but I do own 4 AMC's which everyone knows is the original Jeep Makers.

thanks in advance
Brian "Whrzmud" Flanigan

Whrzmud said:
howdy ya'll,

Another newbie transplant here, just got back from the sand box and brought my rig up from CA, and now I am itchin for some off road fun, currently stationed in Ft Lewis "Med Hold" (something about not being able to fight with shrapnel in yer body) ya I think it is BS too. but I figure that while I am here I check out the local areas, although the only places I can find as of yet is the back 40 and I not sure what areas are good and what areas are impact ranges, (that last part is probably the most important). can anyone point me in a direction of a Ft Lewis club or a place to have some fun?

but I was surfing the net and found this link so I decided to drop a line, now I might not drive a XJ, but I do own 4 AMC's which everyone knows is the original Jeep Makers.

thanks in advance
Brian "Whrzmud" Flanigan

if you're in the army, you can get a map from a training support center, which will show you all the red areas to stay away from. and of course you will need to know how to read a map. also, some of the range controls require you to "register" to ride on their grounds, or at least sign in so that they know who is on their ranges.

Back