• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I missed the news.. True? Did he say this?

scottmcneal

NAXJA Forum User
As I was listening to a news program last night, I watched in horror as Barack Obama made the statement with pride. . ."we are no longer a Christian nation; we are now a nation of Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, . . . As with so many other statements I've heard him (and his wife) make, I never thought I'd see the day that I'd hear something like that from a presidential candidate in this nation. To think our forefathers fought and died for the right for our nation to be a Christian nation--and to have this man say with pride that we are no longer that. How far this nation has come from what our founding fathers intended it to be.

I hope that each of you will do what I'm doing now--send your concerns, written simply and sincerely, to the Christians on your email list. With God's help, and He is still in control of this nation and all else, we can show this man and the world in November that we are, indeed, still a Christian nation!

But...

We're not a so-called Christian Nation. Whether what he said that or not, we're not a Christian Nation.

I wonder if he'll use "Heresy" by Nine Inch Nails as the campaign theme song, that'd fawking rock!

This country was never Christian. And last I looked it was for religous freedom where the Church and State were seperate. Remember the whole "melting pot"? that doesnt just apply to race, but creed too.

Our forefathers fought for a free nation. Part of that feedom included the first amendmant. 70% of the world population is not Christian. Oh nose! The sky is falling!

scottmcneal said:
As I was listening to a news program last night, I watched in horror as Barack Obama made the statement with pride. . ."we are no longer a Christian nation; we are now a nation of Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, . . . As with so many other statements I've heard him (and his wife) make, I never thought I'd see the day that I'd hear something like that from a presidential candidate in this nation. To think our forefathers fought and died for the right for our nation to be a Christian nation--and to have this man say with pride that we are no longer that. How far this nation has come from what our founding fathers intended it to be.

I hope that each of you will do what I'm doing now--send your concerns, written simply and sincerely, to the Christians on your email list. With God's help, and He is still in control of this nation and all else, we can show this man and the world in November that we are, indeed, still a Christian nation!
Hate to burst your small little bubble there pal, but he's right.

We're NOT a christian nation.

And if it matters, I don't have any "christians" on my email list. At least none that I know of. I personally don't know my friends by what they read while taking a dump on a sunday morning.

While it is true that the bulk of the nation at the time of our independence was "christian" in some sense of the word, the intellectuals that are commonly referred to as our "founders" were in fact "diests" rejecting the bulk of the bible other than the moral guide therein as fiction, and believing in a supreme creator who was somewhat uninvolved and ambivilent to the lives of men -- Jefferson, Franklin and Washington in particular. The entire idea that we were founded as a "christian nation" is misguided, and continuing to insist on it does nothing but divide americans who may not believe as you do. Not the best way to embody the "united" vision of our republic. just my 2 cents

and don't take that as any sort of endorsement of Obama, he will not be getting my vote.:piratefla

If you honestly beleive our forefathers fought and died for a christian nation, you have seriously mis-interpreted this fine nation's history. Did you ever study the constituition? Have you ever read the bill of rights? Next time you think about making a political statement, go ahead and don't. If you want to choke out people's right to freedom of religion, you should choke out your own right to free speech.

Like i said, i didn't hear this i got it e-mailed.. I'm asking a ?.. This is not a political statement a hole... I don't trust him as it is.. So you can go an kiss him if you want.. Now did any one see this on tv.. That is the ? Is my friend talking out his butt or what? Thanks

well as a non-christian myself. i have to agree with obama on that. not that i'll vote for him, but he does happen to be right, on that point anyhow.
and as stated by enough others on here, go read the bill of rights & constitution, & any othere works that may have been written to set up this great nations government.

to answer the actual question, i dont know, i missed the news too.
but my gf saw on some news today that the rev. jesse jackson was cought saying that he would like to "cut that mans b@lls off" lmao! imagine that!!! jesse jackson saying such thingsa!!! roflmao

just my 2 cents.

scottmcneal said:
Like i said, i didn't hear this i got it e-mailed.. I'm asking a ?.. This is not a political statement a hole... I don't trust him as it is.. So you can go an kiss him if you want.. Now did any one see this on tv.. That is the ? Is my friend talking out his butt or what? Thanks

Attitude much?

scottmcneal said:

Hey Scott,

It appears that with a simple Google search, that the quote is true and attributed to Obama.

Have fun with that one! :D

scottmcneal said:

Say what?

The simple fact that we have wide-open "freedom of religion" makes the idea of the United States being a "Christian" nation oxymoronic.

If we were a "Christian nation," I higly doubt we'd have the religious freedom we've enjoyed for the last 232 years.

I frankly don't care what people believe in - as long as they act toward me as I act toward them. One need not even believe in a Supreme Being/Great Architect/whatever to be able to live by a moral code - and the idea of "morality" is simply a set of unwritten rules that guide people's behaviour - treating others well is actually in your own best interest (whether this makes a "moral code" the underpinnin of the "social contract," a superset thereof, or a subset thereof; I don't know. Nor do I honestly care. It's easy enough for people to get along, and I don't understand why they don't. However, I do firmly feel that the portion of society that refuses to get along with the rest of us should be excised from society in society's own interests - we need a Coventry until people can get their heads together.

Are we a Christian nation? We can be said to be either "atheistic/agnostic" (no particular/official belief to speak of) or "polythestic" (we'll believe anything and everything, collectively.) You want a better idea of our "official religion?" Look up "Slag-Blah Church of The Winslow" (it's a creation of Phil Foglio for his series Buck Godot - and The Winslow is a running joke in nearly everything he does.)

"Cristian nation?" I don't think so.

"Vote for Obama?" Hell, no! I'd rather cast a vote for Mickey Mouse... Democrats haven't fielded an acceptable candidate since JFK.

what about the pagans and the wiccans? they were tried and burned at the stake! :flame:

freedom of religion my ass :cheers:

GrimmJeeper said:
what about the pagans and the wiccans? they were tried and burned at the stake! :flame:

freedom of religion my ass :cheers:

By the Puritans, not by the American government. Didn't that happen before America was, anyhow? Probably part of the impetus behind Freedom of Religion in the first place - we have Pagans and Wiccans now, don't we?

Back