• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33x12.5 on 5" lift?

Coaldust

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Boys and Girls

I have a 2000 cherokee with a 3" suspension lift and 2" spacer lift on it. I bought 33x12.5 BFG MT Tires used (Amazing condition) on black rockcrawler rims, and when I went to my offroad store they tried putting them on and said that there wasn't enough room. Stating that the tire hit the frame and that no amount of cutting could fix it. I'm just wondering if it's possible to fit this tire under 5" of lift (with cutting I know) or will I have to go smaller. Any sugesstions would be amazing.

BTW I'm uploading pictures tonight to my computer so I can finally show off my baby!

I'm running 35's with 5" lift.

What rims are you trying to fit the 33's on? If they are stock, then the backspacing is too much, and you need to space them out, otherwise you will be rubbing things inside the wheelwell that trimming wouldn't help. You will still need to trim and bumpstop correct to fit 33's without rubbing. I have two tech articles I have written that may help you out.

http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/fender_trimming.htm
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/Adjusting_Bumpstops.htm

If your tires are hitting the framerails, then backspacing is your issue. Go with either 4.5" BS, or 3.75" to move the tires out a bit wider if you'd like. 5" lift is plenty of room, just adjust your backspacing.

Chris

I know a guy with with a 3 inch lift on 35s ( a good bit of trimming) but you can do it, try getting wheel spacers or better backspacing one those rims but yo can get spacer for 60 or so dollars a pair get that widen you axles and that should fix you problem

It is hitting the frame rail (or so I'm told). I am not very tech savy so i had to trust what my offroad reatailer said to me. The Rims are 10" rockcrawler rims.

What is the best place to buy back spacers, and can I install them myself? Easy?

Coaldust said:
It is hitting the frame rail (or so I'm told). I am not very tech savy so i had to trust what my offroad reatailer said to me. The Rims are 10" rockcrawler rims.

What is the best place to buy back spacers, and can I install them myself? Easy?

This picture should help explaind what backspacing is. Basically your backspacing is too much and the back of the wheel/tyre hits the XJ before the wheels are bolted down properly. You can use a wheel spacer to push them out a bit but ideally you want wheels with the correct backspacing.

backspacing_measurements.jpg

Cheers
Steve

buying new rockcrawler's are about the same if not cheaper then buying billet bolt on spacers and the correct rim is always safer then spacers. You can get 15x8 rockcrawlers for like $50 a piece and theyll fit the 33x12.5's fine or you can prob find someone to trade you straight up for your rims. What did they come off of? And yea as mentioned above for backspacing go with either a 4.5" or 3.5" if you want a wider stance

Back