• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tinkham Road pics-

IXNAYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I was finally able to make it all the way up to my Super Secret Squirrel Spot at the end of Tinkham road. It has been snowed in up until now, and I almost didn't make it. Rich (Mc2KXJ) went up and we had to leave his rig below; even with a front locker there was just too much snow.

Anyway, here are some cool pics I got:

049.jpg

About half way up the main gravel road we came around a corner and saw a guy and his daughter jogging down the road. I stopped and asked if they were okay; they said they were fine, and that were just running down the hill to get cell phone reception to call a tow truck. Apparently they got their F-350 stuck and it was sliding off the edge of the road.

They had already run about 3.5 miles and looked pretty winded. I offered to take a look at their situation and if nothing else, give them a ride to the bottom. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting (though certainly not an ideal situation) and I decided to try getting him out myself:

052.jpg

We got it out fine and they were very appreciative. As it turns out, the guy is an Alaska airlines pilot and now Rich and I are both the proud owners of a round-trip ticket anywhere Alaska or Horizon fly. :)

Back on our way to the top:

054.jpg

057.jpg

059.jpg

There were a few good sized fields of snow we had to cross:

062.jpg

064.jpg

Just before the "Gatekeeper" hillclimb that seperates the men from the boys:

066.jpg

068.jpg

071.jpg

073.jpg

The view of Rainier was amazing:

081.jpg

We decided to go for a little hike to a great look-out spot about 3/4 of a mile from the shooting range. As we came around a corner, I saw this:

082.jpg

It's kind of hard to see, but that's a bear. Yeah....

089.jpg

It was pretty friggin' big:

095.jpg

More secenery:

098.jpg

Played around a little in the Heep:

108.jpg

112.jpg

117.jpg

120.jpg

We then drove over to the other peak which offers a total 360° view and a great place to watch the sun set:

124.jpg

The moon even came out:

137.jpg

140.jpg

-----Matt-----

Matt, winch cable? Fixed? :roll:

PM me next time your out there. I love that area. thanks for the pics

Cute Hat, AWESOME pics as usual.

John

Matt_West said:
Thanks for the pics. Read an article of yours last night in Crawl; really enjoyed it.

Well at least we all know he has one fan now!

:cheers:

P.S. Nice pics for a Ni-konned-into-buying-it.

Damn that camera makes me want to throw out my point-and-shoot and get a real SLR...

Nice pics Matt!

hey, i was there last weekend!

TRSCobra said:
Go ahead Scott, rub it in...

Always...

But remember, I sold a good chunk of my life away to buy my camera gear...my drumset and all the accessories. (Kept the sticks...but w/e)

hey matt-
i forgot to ask you a nw fest....what kind of exhaust system do you have on your jeep and who did your fender flares and how much were they? much abliged.
-PJ-

vortex said:
hey matt-
i forgot to ask you a nw fest....what kind of exhaust system do you have on your jeep and who did your fender flares and how much were they? much abliged.
-PJ-

The cage/ flares are from the same shop as mine.

Those Guys Rod and Custom in Bremerton.

Oh and Matt thanks for asking if I wanted to go, oh and how did you find out about Keil's window?

-Alex

Back