• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grab handles on the A pillar

blk88

NAXJA Forum User
I just had my XJ lifted and now its a little tough to jump into. I don't want to use the steering wheel to get in either so I was wondering if anyone has made some grab handles and mounted them to the A pillars. If there are any pics out there that would be great. Thanks!

blk88 said:
I just had my XJ lifted and now its a little tough to jump into. I don't want to use the steering wheel to get in either so I was wondering if anyone has made some grab handles and mounted them to the A pillars. If there are any pics out there that would be great. Thanks!
What about the stock ones that are above the the door inside of the cab?

Dang, how high a lift is it...I'm barely 5'4"...with 33's and a 6" lift...and older'n hell to boot...and I don't have any trouble gettin' into mine.

MudDawg said:
Dang, how high a lift is it...I'm barely 5'4"...with 33's and a 6" lift...and older'n hell to boot...and I don't have any trouble gettin' into mine.
You are old...and short(probably shrinking:D). I never would have imagined.

I have an 8" lift with 37's. It's for passangers too. My girlfriend has a tough time getting in and she's 5'-9." XJ's are a little difficult get in as they are with a tub like floor and small doors.

If I wanted a lowered conversion van with an accessible lift I would have purchased one. Thanks for the imput.

How about removing the existing handle and see what type of bolt/screw or whatever is required to secure it? There's got to be a way to secure a makeshift handle with similar hardware. Take a trip to Lowe's (harware section). If nothing else you could use a piece of rope. Secure it to the stock location (ex. eye hooks). I've never seen an aftermarket handle specifically for XJ's.

You could use some sort of bracket to secure the straps to.
53499-lg.jpg

Yeah a cage will be going on soon. I just need to get something for the time being so I will make something soon and I will post pics. Thanks guys!

get something like this universal grab handle and mount to the a pillar, i would dremel out a recess for the shape of the mounts and your good to go. Not necessarily this EXACT one but this style should fit your needs. Make sure you get a nice heavy duty one if you can find a weight rating on it, if your old i hate to hear ya fell and broke your hip :looney:

G_19146G_SW_1.gif;pv8b7ecaf1d88bea06

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs...211&TID=101&productId=2009211&catalogId=10101

heres a one piece one
http://www.4softtops.com/warrior_grab_and_door_handles.asp

w_90428_b.jpg

Last edited:
Wish I had a pic....I saw a truck once that had stirrups....i kid you not....dude would open the door, flop a stirrup down....hop in...flip the stirrup back inside and motor on...don't know how he trained the rig to let is wife mount up from the right side though...guess it was too old to buck.

MudDawg said:
Wish I had a pic....I saw a truck once that had stirrups....i kid you not....dude would open the door, flop a stirrup down....hop in...flip the stirrup back inside and motor on...don't know how he trained the rig to let is wife mount up from the right side though...guess it was too old to buck.

I made one of these for my kids to get in mine. they think it's awesome., but they are 11, 8, and 6 year old boys, so their judgement may be flawed. I used a stirrup from a local tack shop and a couple feet of old seat belt looped through the bar on the pass floor that the stock seat belt dead ends on. i probably could have used the leather for the stirrup but ocassionally my youngest forgets that the last one in needs to pull it inside before they close the door. the seatbelt takes the road salt better than the leather does. I am sure i get stares drivin around with just one stirrup hanging out rattling.

Back