• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Beefed up drag links, what's out there?

xjmatt

NAXJA Forum User
So the TRE's on my stock drag link are probably partly the cause of my steering slop as I think they are originals at 165K . I've already got a 1.5" DOM tie rod with 1-ton TRE's on it so I'm looking for JUST a drag link replacement.

The 1-ton TRE's I've got on the tie rod right now have the same taper as stock TRE's so no modification has been done to the drag link or Knuckle and i'd like to keep it that way.

So far the only thing I've found is the drag link gusset that PSC makes to weld onto the stock drag link, but what is out there for stronger TRE's that will attach to a stock drag link if I go this route? Thanks!

I'd recommend the Currie steering system also. That is what i'm running on my 99 XJ with 35s and have no complaints.

I'm not sure if they fixed this on the newer designs, but the zerk grease fitting on some of the older systems would get broken off. The only zerk fitting that this was a problem with was the one on the draglink to tie rod connection. You can easily place a plug in there and just install the zerk fitting to grease this joint when need be, that is what I do and it's only about 2 minutes of work to remove the plug, put in the grease fitting, add grease, then remove the zerk and put the plug back in.

Other then that it's a great steering system and it is plenty beefy.

Yup I almost picked up the currie setup off someone local except for this line in the currie description:

"This unit will only work as a replacement part for the Currie system - it may not be used as in conjunction with any stock tie rod parts"

After talking to some currie users as well as calling currie I confirmed that if you decide to go currie it's their way or the highway. There is no replacement for their TRE's except from Currie, they custom source them apparently, you can't go to the parts store and pickup a replacement.

As I mentioned I'm trying to use the DOM tie rod I've got and keep the stock taper at all of the TRE points. If it's possible to do this with a stronger aftermarket drag link that would be ideal but if it's not available that's just as valuable a piece of info. Thanks!

The Currie stuff can use stock TREs as far as i know, but i'm not completely sure on this as I haven't had to replace any TREs on the Jeep so far.

Edit: btw, the Currie stuff replaces the draglink and the tie rod. I'm not sure if you think it just replaces one or the other.

x2 on the currie setup.

91 Jeep Project said:
Currie TREs are 22 mm, same as the ZJ. I have personally confirmed this with the shop I use, and Currie. They only list it as 7/8" because "it's close enough."

Huh, ok well sounds like the currie DL will do the trick then. When I called them and asked I got a definite 'NO' when I asked if I could use my own tie rod as a backup (when really I just wanted the drag link anyway). Guess that is just the default answer you get when calling and asking about compatability! Thanks!

xjmatt said:
Huh, ok well sounds like the currie DL will do the trick then. When I called them and asked I got a definite 'NO' when I asked if I could use my own tie rod as a backup (when really I just wanted the drag link anyway). Guess that is just the default answer you get when calling and asking about compatability! Thanks!

Apples and oranges there, man...

Your TIEROD won't work because it's physically a different LENGTH than the Currie one. The taper will work just fine, but their ends will not fit your stock tierod, nor will your tierod be the correct length, even with the right ends on it. IIRC, a stock tierod is too short. I don't have one here to confirm which is longer, but when I put the Currie one on it was SIGNIFICANTLY different length.

Just wanted to clarify that you and DJ were talking about two different things. :)

ECKSJAY said:
Apples and oranges there, man...

Your TIEROD won't work because it's physically a different LENGTH than the Currie one. The taper will work just fine, but their ends will not fit your stock tierod, nor will your tierod be the correct length, even with the right ends on it. IIRC, a stock tierod is too short. I don't have one here to confirm which is longer, but when I put the Currie one on it was SIGNIFICANTLY different length.

Just wanted to clarify that you and DJ were talking about two different things. :)

Thanks for that catch Phil. Yes, the Currie Steering system is the same basic design as the stock setup. But as Currie claims, their parts will not mingle with yours. It's an Elitist thing I imagine..................:D

P.S. IIRC the stock tie rod is longer then the Currie unit.

Last edited:
I might be wrong here but I would think that the length difference in the tie rod would only be because the TREs are much different sizes. The stock TREs being much smaller would need a longer tie rod to span the distance. Because the taper is the same, as long as the two attachment points (drag link and driver side knuckle) are the same distance, reason would say that you could use a stock tie rod with the Currie drag link. Of course doing that makes no sense from a strength standpoint.

You definitely would not be able to mix and match Currie and stock TREs.

Ok well easiest way I can think to settle this, would someone with a currie setup measure TRE center to TRE center on their tie rod? Thanks!

I run the Currie drag link with the RE chromo tie rod and it works and fits perfectly. I know for a fact that the RE tie rod and the stock tie rod are the same legnth.

Back