• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tire sizes

Semper Fi

NAXJA Forum User
I just put a RE 3.5 inch lift on my 2001 Cherokee. I want to run 31's but I have 16 inch wheels. I have 255/70/16's on it now and some of you guys have told me that they are = 30's would a 265/75/16 be the same as a 31? If not what does it =out to be? I have been talking to my wife about just switching to 15's, would there be any benefit to doing this, or should I just stick with the 16's?

The tires tend to be cheaper for 15" wheels vs. 16". A buddy of mine has a Rubicon...the tires ran him a bit more just for the increased wheel size.

I just added a RE 3.5 lift recently. I went ahead and got new wheels with tires (31X10.5). Personally, i like the plain black wheels...at about $40 each, you can't beat them.

but is there any benefit to having 15's instead of 16's? I bought my Jeep from a guy that has about 100 wrecked Jeeps that he uses for parts or he rebuilds and sells them. So if I want 15 inch rims for a Jeep I can go pick out what I want no problem. I'm just not sure if it's worth it or not.

I just went back to 265/75/16's(32x10.5) from 33x10.5x15's.
bump12.jpg

Are the MTXs the all terrains? From the looks of the tread on those I didn't think they intended them for off road use lol j/k

I am looking at the General Grabber AT2. I can get them for about $440 plus shipping. I'm looking at the 265/75/16's I think they are 31.9 inches. I have an RE3.5 super flex on the Cherokee. will these be ok to run or will I have to keep the discos connected? what is the difference between a 265/75/16 and a 265/70/16?

Semper Fi,
Below is the link to General's spec page on the Grabber AT2. The middle number on metric tires is a comparison between the sidewall height and the tread width. 70 means the sidewall is 70% of the tread width. The higher that number the taller the sidewall, and thus the taller the tire.
Advantages to the 15" rim:
More sidewall between the tread and the wheel rim for a given tire diameter. When you air down that'll let the tread wrap around rocks while crawling a bit better, or absorb more bumps in trail while bombing down a fire road.
As stated before the tires are a bit cheaper, though that gap is closing as a lot more vehicles come with stock 16" wheels.
Most tires for 16" rims have a higher load rating than 15" tires. That makes for a stiffer (not necessarily more tear resistant) sidewall, which will take away from the tire's flexibility.
This isn't a rail against 16" tires. The differences aren't night and day, you'll be happy wheelin' either way.
Link to General:
http://www.generaltire.com/generator/www/us/en/generaltire/automobile/themes/van/all_terrain/grabber_at2/print_data_en.pdf
Link to metric size calculator:
http://www.csgnetwork.com/tireinfo4calc.html

ok the only question I have left is, is the 265/75/16 to big to run on my Cherokee with the RE 3.5 lift, or should I stick to a 265/70/16? the 265/75/16 is 31.9 and the 265/70/16 is 30.9. Will a one inch difference make the tires rub on the fenders when disoced?

chelms27 Semper Fi?....Cute!

All I have to say is don't tread where you have no knowledge of what it is that you are getting yourself into!! That is the Marine Corps motto!!! I spent 10 years in the Corps and I don't take kindly to ANYONE that trys to bash anything about the Marines or any other branch of service!!!!! I have lost several friends in this and past wars, so lets not get started and keep this thread on the Jeep questions where it belongs, ok?

i run 265/75/16s on Rubicon Moabs with the RE 3.5 Superflex lift on my 92 XJ. They will definately fit and look great! However in the front you will need to do a little triming and proper bumpstops at least 4" i would say or you will end up like me folding both front fenders when articulated because of the lack of bumpstop. I learned the hard way. Now I have completely removed all flairs and trimmed so my fenders won't look so bad.

on a side note, if you are going to run 16" wheels i wouldn't run anything smaller than a 265/75 if i could help it because there just isn't enough sidewall there, especially when aired down.

good luck and God Bless the troops!!

Most of what has been said is fairly accurate. I've also got an '01, with stock 16x7 wheels. I just took off 255/70's for 265/75's. If you don't trim, you will be in trouble. I'm in the middle of trimming, and TJ rear flare install, as I type. Taking a break before sanding and painting. You will also need wheel spacers, or new wheels with better backspacing. I need the wheel spacers to keep the 255's off the LCA's. One of the reasons I chose the 16's was actually for less sidewall, as this is primary transport, in addition to family trail truck. The less sidewall makes for more predictable handling on road. As you approach 33's, I think there is enough sidewall for wheeling too, and I do intend to air these down a good bit (just had them put on last week, that's why I'm trimming now!). I actually like the more variety of sizes in the 31 to 33 inch range for 16's. I was also thinking of a front brake upgrade, even when I purchased this truck stock. Big tires take their toll on your brakes, and that is not the place to skimp on. My last car, we upgraded front discs to 12.5inch, and fit them inside the stock 16's, so I figured, when I'm ready, I may find a disc upgrade that will fit these wheels also.
Having said all that, I'm not a fan of the wheel spacers, and would rather have 16's with the correct backspacing, but budget doesn't allow right now! Maybe before I'm ready for 285/75's..... The rear does not need spacers with my stock 16x7's, and 265's...atleast not yet!:sunshine:

Well from what you guys have said, I think I will stay with the 265/70/16's. The reason being that I don't feel comfortable trimming the fenders, and seeing how this size is almost the same as a 31, it should look and perform well. Thanks for all of your help. And Woodkrawler, that is a great price on those tires, but as I have stated I'm going to stick with the 265/70/16's

ChuckstrPT said:
Most of what has been said is fairly accurate. I've also got an '01, with stock 16x7 wheels. I just took off 255/70's for 265/75's. If you don't trim, you will be in trouble. I'm in the middle of trimming, and TJ rear flare install, as I type. Taking a break before sanding and painting. You will also need wheel spacers, or new wheels with better backspacing. I need the wheel spacers to keep the 255's off the LCA's. One of the reasons I chose the 16's was actually for less sidewall, as this is primary transport, in addition to family trail truck. The less sidewall makes for more predictable handling on road. As you approach 33's, I think there is enough sidewall for wheeling too, and I do intend to air these down a good bit (just had them put on last week, that's why I'm trimming now!). I actually like the more variety of sizes in the 31 to 33 inch range for 16's. I was also thinking of a front brake upgrade, even when I purchased this truck stock. Big tires take their toll on your brakes, and that is not the place to skimp on. My last car, we upgraded front discs to 12.5inch, and fit them inside the stock 16's, so I figured, when I'm ready, I may find a disc upgrade that will fit these wheels also.
Having said all that, I'm not a fan of the wheel spacers, and would rather have 16's with the correct backspacing, but budget doesn't allow right now! Maybe before I'm ready for 285/75's..... The rear does not need spacers with my stock 16x7's, and 265's...atleast not yet!:sunshine:

just as a note: i have 16x8 rubicon moabs and no spacers are needed with my 265s and i think i even fit a 285/75 without spacers.

woodkrawler said:
your jeep looks good! are you running spacers behind those wheels?
No spacers,stock rims andzero trimming.Its does rub slightly on the ca's but no where else!

woodkrawler said:
you must have some nice bumpstopage!
Speaking of Bumpstops....I need 2 more inches....what's the easiest way? and how do you remove the stock from bumpstops? I tugged a little, and it didn't give. I'd rather not disassemble the front suspension for bumpstopage......:laugh3:

woodkrawler said:
just as a note: i have 16x8 rubicon moabs and no spacers are needed with my 265s and i think i even fit a 285/75 without spacers.
THAT'S NOT FAIR!:bawl: I guess an inch does make a difference! Now if I could just find them for cheap......hmmmm

Back