• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Life expectancy of AW4 Torque Converter?

A torque convertor is one of those things that I would always replace new. If you have to remove the trans a second time to put another used one in, even if your time is only worth minimum wage, you've paid for the new convertor with wasted time.
just my dos pesos.
sam

oh hey there...well, it has the 'rocks in a can' rattle sound when running, and you can hear and feel a 'shudder' when you turn it off. Sound is identical to when a flexplate bolt is loose. I slid th tranny back, looked at the flexplate real good and couldn't find any cracks on it, bolts were tight too.The souund is coming straight from the bellhousing. -I had a friend listen/look who isa mechanic, retired about 3 years ago from a Jeep dealership- he said it probably was the TC, but no way to tell w/out replacing it.

citRon said:
oh hey there...well, it has the 'rocks in a can' rattle sound when running, and you can hear and feel a 'shudder' when you turn it off. Sound is identical to when a flexplate bolt is loose. I slid th tranny back, looked at the flexplate real good and couldn't find any cracks on it, bolts were tight too.The souund is coming straight from the bellhousing. -I had a friend listen/look who isa mechanic, retired about 3 years ago from a Jeep dealership- he said it probably was the TC, but no way to tell w/out replacing it.

I have 217k on the original tranny+tq converter (engine too for that matter) and its silent?? How's that for life expectancy.

It's not the harmonic balancer making that noise is it? Also, fairly certain its not crank noise?

Back