• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replace Side Windows

rooneypower

NAXJA Forum User
So a tree owned my drivers side rear quarter panel window tonight. Slid into the but of a tree on the trail:flamemad: .

But then got to thinking, its not really that bad??

Anyways, where should I get my new window from, the junkyard? or should I buy it new? Expect to pay about $100 new??

Once I have the window, how the hell to I put it back in? Can I do it, or would it be easier for a shop to do it??

Thanks

Keil

Ya junk yard one, if you want tinted windows and can find them grab both windows.
To uninstall just take a screw driver and pry from the outside while pressing outward from the inside of the Jeep, then once you have a gap slide the screw driver around the out side till the window pops put.
To install get the strongest string you can find (I use 80lbs fishing line) and set 1/2 the window inplace, then slide the string around the rest while pushing in on the glass from the out side. It should slide right in with the string.

99xj4x4 said:
Ya junk yard one, if you want tinted windows and can find them grab both windows.
To uninstall just take a screw driver and pry from the outside while pressing outward from the inside of the Jeep, then once you have a gap slide the screw driver around the out side till the window pops put.
To install get the strongest string you can find (I use 80lbs fishing line) and set 1/2 the window inplace, then slide the string around the rest while pushing in on the glass from the out side. It should slide right in with the string.

You can also use clothesline soaked in diishsoap/water. To clarify 99xj you put the string in between the inner and outer sections of the window gasket as you pull the string inward it will pull the inner gasket into place and install the window. Unless you have done it this sounds weird. I can do pics of what we are talking about if you want as I have spares around. (sent a pm regarding the glass btw)

I have a set of ALL the windows if you really want to put glass back in.

DaffyXJ said:
I have a set of ALL the windows if you really want to put glass back in.
:D I like the way you word that.

Just be glad you have a fourdoor.

I sometimes wake up in a cold sweat, panicked about finding another two door window, with both the vent window and the bronze tint...

Might as well search for the Holy Grail...

:shiver: :shiver: :shiver:

Robert

Robert 771 said:

I sometimes wake up in a cold sweat, panicked about finding another two door window, with both the vent window and the bronze tint...

Might as well search for the Holy Grail...

:shiver: :shiver: :shiver:

Robert
Ive got a set.

asatxj said:
You can also use clothesline soaked in diishsoap/water. To clarify 99xj you put the string in between the inner and outer sections of the window gasket as you pull the string inward it will pull the inner gasket into place and install the window. Unless you have done it this sounds weird. I can do pics of what we are talking about if you want as I have spares around.
Please do! I want to remove mine for prep and paint but I'm scared of putting them back in.

Robert 771 said:

Robert
RCP Phx said:
I've got a set.
So do I, but we live where the sun shines all year . . .

I've installed factory mirrored side windows with vents and hatch glass on both our 2 door Cherokees.
If the windows are still in, pull as noted above. I use 2 big screw drivers when at the junk yard.
For installation, first clean the channels in the rubber gasket. In the 2 door I have found it is easier if I remove the lower inside window trim for clearance.
To install, first put the cleaned gasket around the glass.
Next insert a long piece of liquid soap wetted clothes line (or other thin rope) all the around the inside of the gasket channel that will go over the bodies window flange.
Be sure the clothes line is long enough to go all the way around the channel, cross over and leave a couple of feet hanging out on each end to pull.
Place one side of the window gasket with window over the body flange and try to get it seated all the way down.
Have a helper hold the window from the outside while you climb inside and start pulling one or both ends of the cord out of the channel and over the flange while your helper lightly holds the window on the outside where you are pulling the cord.
Keep working your way around as the gasket seats. Some times I have needed to use a bicycle tire lever to get the gasket corners to seat.
There you go! So far I haven't broken a window, either on removal or installation.

I have a 4dr Cherokee and am having trouble removing the power windows for tinting. The torx bolt that holds the pane of glass to the power slider does not want to come off, I have loosened it but it still won't come all the way off... the 'nut' or whatever it is on the other side is spinning with the torx bolt, and I can't find a reliable way to clamp down that nut with the very limited space I am working with.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Raspberry said:
I have a 4dr Cherokee and am having trouble removing the power windows for tinting. The torx bolt that holds the pane of glass to the power slider does not want to come off, I have loosened it but it still won't come all the way off... the 'nut' or whatever it is on the other side is spinning with the torx bolt, and I can't find a reliable way to clamp down that nut with the very limited space I am working with.

Anyone have a suggestion?
I have never removed a window or even seen anyone remove one to tint it ??????

It is the best way to tint by far. Makes applying the tint so much easier!

Looks like I'm going to have to try applying the tint on the power windows without removing them though... they will not budge.

After searching, maybe I'll just resurrect this thread lol. I have a rear window to install on an '88 four door and my non-mathematical or logical mind has made it an issue lol.

The window is the correct size, but I can't really figure out how it goes IN. I had always assumed it would slip UP from the bottom, but that's an obvious no-go. But because it has to slip into the groves, it doesn't quite fit up top, either! So, what's the trick?

Going to go back out and mess with it a bit, but it sure has me baffled! :D

Back