• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bad ground getting worse

xj88superjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I've already replaced the grounds from batt to block, batt to chassis, and block to chassis. Now the stereo does not work, the dash lights flicker, and the truck runs crappy and sputters after a cold start until it warms up. I am at a loss where else to look. Any suggestions?

I have a new 100 amp alt, and a battery meter shows a steady charge between 12-13 according to what is drawing amps, but the stock batt guage never shows a heavy charge.

Last edited:
I know that it may seem remiedal at this point, however have you cleaned all the connections? I preffer to use sandpaper on the body mounts till I see good metal. Also have you conducted resistance checks on the cables as well as just bat to block and bat to chassis? If so they should be minimal or as close to .001 ohms as possible. There are a few more gounding points to check that are under the dash if I remember correctly. Make sure that they have a good connection. I preffer to solder after I crimp connections to ensure the Highest quality connections. Good luck

If the grounds are clean and ressistance checks out as very low, then the next stop could be the ignition switch. You have a GM steering column, with the switch down near the bottom of the column by your feet, and operated by a rod down from the key cylinder. This switch contains contacts for numerous circuits, and can wear out.

That would make all the sense in the world. Someone tried to steal the jeep the week after I bought it, and they ripped apart the column, and I have to start it using a clamp on that rod, and manually pull the rod back. That could be wearing on the switch. I will check into it. all the other grounds checked out with the multimeter at 0 ohms. Thanks a million.

When you did the grounds at the back of the block, did you miss reconnecting the smaller black wire that comes out of the wiring harness? That's the ground for quite a number of things including engine sensors.

lawsoncl said:
When you did the grounds at the back of the block, did you miss reconnecting the smaller black wire that comes out of the wiring harness? That's the ground for quite a number of things including engine sensors.
I'm quite sure the only two grounds that were on the block were the batt ground, which was only one wire that went into the harness, then it popped back out of the harness as a single wire going to the dipstick bolt. I simply diconnected both ends and replaced it with a new heavy duty neg batt cable. Now if there were other wires tied into it from within the harness, then I need to reconnect the old wire back to the block along with the new one. The new neg batt terminal wire had an additional smaller wire at the terminal that I grounded to a fender bolt. the other was the POS strap from the block to the firewall. I replaced it with a heavy guage lawnmower neg batt cable.

I have not replaced the Whole harness, however I have replaced damaged sections in both my 87 and my 88. Guess corrosion happens over time but it does suck to be missing a fuse and have it rigged or a power wire. I bought sections of harness from a scrap yard in Cali for the fuseblock since they have nice weather down there and corrosion is not as much of an issue. I have found small sections up here at the scrap yard and in freinds rigs as they were installing other engines that are now a part of my rigs. Oh and even replacing the fuse block is a PITA, took me a few hours was all.

Back