• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power gremlins

snmstuntbikr

NAXJA Forum User
I tried searching but could not find an answer to my problem that just developed this morning.

Went out to the jeep (2000 xj) this morning and turned the key and nothing happened (no lights for the guages, no radio, no power at all), turned the key 2 more times and still nothing. on the 4th turn it started right up and ran fine but the radio reset. Later on the same thing happened so i disconnected the battery and reconnected it and it started right up. After work today it started up fine but reset the radio again, for no reason.

Anybody have any insight to this problem?

-Chris

Take some baking soda and water and clean the battery terminals, then take the battery down to one of the stores like advanced and have it tested. How old is the battery and what kind of quality ? Once you get the battery termianls cleaned up cover them with a decent dielectric grease or just plain grease, all the red tops in our 3 jeeps I used mobil-1 grease to cover the terminals.
Next thing I would do is start checking your grounds, living in the rust belt the connectors corrode and need to be removed every few years, cleaned with emory cloth and put back on. You probably have something loose, the trick is to find it...

the battery is a normal one that came with the jeep from a dealer a few years back. Once the weather clears up Ill take your advice and clean the terminals.

Thanks for your help

-Chris

Back