• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how hot is your axle?

proskier101

NAXJA Forum User
my center section og my housing gets really hot sometimes, do yalls gets hot?

and i mean i cant keep my hand on it it is so hot, i know i live in FL and the roads are 120* but damn, wtf?

mine doesn't get that warm, but certainly warm to the touch. check your gear oil. make sure it's not shiny with metal shavings. are they new gears or a poor alignment?

I had my D44 rebuilt at 4Wheel Parts in Miami (my worst mistake since I got into an XJ 8 years ago) about 5,000 miles ago. That thing get hot, scarry hot. I change the oil about 3 times in 5,000 miles in an attempt to reduce the temperature. I am now running the purple stuff 75-140 weight. It seem to cool down a little but :dunno: I'll tale a wait and see attitude. I am in the Caribbbean and the XJ in Miami.

I've recently fitted an upgraded diff which has been regeared with new 4.56 ratios. It's running warm to the touch, but not burning hot...saying that, it was a rainy day, so it probably would have been running cooler than usual.

With new gears fitted is one supposed to hear the diff while it is running in. My new diff doesn't have a whine when coasting, but there is a little humming noise which disappears when I just touch the throttle. It aslo seems to have gotten quieter the last few days, is this normal for new gears?

ChrisRFewell said:
ya, im gonna pull the diff tonight to see if anything weird is going on in there,
how long ago was the last time you changed it? there's a relatively strict regiment you're supposed to follow in terms of breaking in new gears. i saw it in another thread recently. it only relates to the first 500 miles or so, but if you didn't treat the new gears well enough it may not hurt to adhere to it for a while...3

EDIT: i'm at work right now and can't find it after a quick look. i'll look carefully later tonight...

Shouldn't be that hot is your axle have enough gear oil?

One of my 8.25's runs real hot, around 180 on a 90+ hazy, hot, and humid summer day. I set the rear up myself, its right and its broke in, it just runs hot. I switched to Royal Purple synthetic gear lube and it is some what cooler, but i haven't stuck a thermometer in the fluid yet. I suspect this housing is just a little out of alignment due to the fact its a little more "noisy" than normal.

The other 4 8.25's in my other XJ's(2 of which I have set up as well) run much cooler.

We set up a friends Dana 60(CJ-8) and it ran hot. He got concerned and put a temp. gage in. It ran 125-150 in the summer in Ohio (85-92 OAT)

ocean_jet said:

Good info.

I did not do the 500 mile thing but I drove my XJ around Miami about 200 miles in city traffic fo about a week before setting out to Baltimore, MD. I did not have a problem until the temperature got into the 90's coupled with a 40 mile trip on the highway at 70+ MPH. The D44 heated up real good and forced plenty of oil out the vent tube. I sometimes wonder if the Riddler diff cover I am using which is made of a very thick and heavy nodular iron retained the heat and contributed to the problem. Then again I doubt it.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=957677
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=953441

Last edited:
Back