• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ WON'T START

J.B.R.

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all, I have a 2000 XJ 85,000 miles. it ran fine up until I parked it last night. Came out to start it this morning and all it does is crank fine. I checked fuel rail pressure. as follows.
Turn key I get 34 psi, when I first start to crank the pressure goes to 52 psi. and slowly drops off to 46 psi while cranking.
I unhooked the CPS and re pluged as I read to do. And still only cranks.
Iam not sure how to check spark, Do I have to remove the cop rail and just put 1 spark plug in and check for spark? Any other ideas? Thanks

The most common cause of it cranks and cranks but will not start up is the CPS. A bad CPS can cause the OBDII code reader to have trouble making a connection and/or reading malfunction codes.

Exchange the fuel pump relay with one of the other similar ones under the hood.

I just replaced the cps on my 2000. Does the voltage come up when you start? Mine didn't and was followed by a check engine light, and a "no Bus" message on the odometer after about 30-60 seconds. You can verify bad cps, by unplugging it, and turning the key on, if the voltage comes up, then replace the cps.

Hey thanks all; Question- GreenXJ2K you mean if I unplug the CPS and just turn the key on, if the volt meter on the dash comes up then I have a bad CPS. Thanks

Thats what mine did, I just happened to notice that the volt meter was not indicating anything. After I unplugged the old one, before i put the new one in, I turned the key on, and the voltage came up. Not sure if thats a definitive diagnosis for a bad cps, but your symptoms sound like they are. Its a pain in the ass to change, you'll need 3 foot ratchet extension, and one of those u-joint type adapters on the end. 13mm to remove the bracket that holds the connectors, and 11mm to remove the cps itself.

Update. I did the test- unplug the old one and then turn the key on, and yes the volt meter on the dash went up. So I installed a new CPS ($104.00) at NAPA, and Wala the XJ purrs like a kitten. Between a few beers the entire process was about 30 mins. Thanks for all the help.

Tim_MN said:
The most common cause of it cranks and cranks but will not start up is the CPS. A bad CPS can cause the OBDII code reader to have trouble making a connection and/or reading malfunction codes.

Will a bad CPS always throw a code, P0320( No crank reference signal @ PCM)? Or does it shoot itself in the proverbial foot?

Bent said:
does it shoot itself in the proverbial foot?

AFAIK the failed CPS is like an open short. The computer gets no voltage (data ?) reading so it won't proceede with the start-up sequence or light the Check Engine Lamp. Some people with a bad CPS report a No Bus message which means a lack of communication.

I have had a 1997 and a 1999 CPS fail. Neither one lighted a Check Engine Lamp or gave a No Bus. They both just cranked with no start. I already had a spare CPS, so I just popped it in, and VROOM.

Last edited:
Bent said:
Will a bad CPS always throw a code, P0320( No crank reference signal @ PCM)?
To answer my own question, NO, not on my 2001, that is. There were no codes nor was there a “no bus” on the odometer.

As far as diagnosis goes, this is I found. At room temperature the failed cps gave a reading of .4 Ohms between the B and C terminals in the connector. The terminals are marked on the male side and on my ’01 they were numbered 1, 2, & 3 instead of alphabetically. Simply, 1 = A.

Testing the new cps prior to installation, at room temperature, I got a reading of “OL” or “open line” or no continuity. The new cps solved the “no start” situation.

Setting my meter to beep @ continuity, terminals B & C beeped on the failed cps while it did not on the new unit.

Hope this helps someone down the road.

Bent, On your 01...would your XJ not start at all or would it not start on first crank?? My 00 XJ of 104,000 will not start on first crank. Crank crank crank...pause...2nd crank she fires right up.

I had engine failure of another type also....just got my stroker back. put everything back together and this is the only problem that carried over to the new engine. Should have had the guy replace the CPS before new motor went in.

JeepinAaron said:
....... will not start on first crank. Crank crank crank...pause...2nd crank she fires right up.

Failed fuel pump check valve. SEARCH should turn up plenty of similar threads.

JeepinAaron said:
Bent, On your 01...would your XJ not start at all or would it not start on first crank?? My 00 XJ of 104,000 will not start on first crank. Crank crank crank...pause...2nd crank she fires right up.
The engine wouldn't start at all. It spun like a top first try, second, third...just like if you were to have unpluged the coil(s).

Back