• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Half doors

GermanXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I built these for a friend while he was in Iraq. I made them from some old doors I had laying around, and some sheet metal from my hood. We are stationed in Germany so parts are hard to come by, and we usually have to make everything from old junk. Makes it more fun that way.
100_1996.jpg

100_1999.jpg

100_2001.jpg

100_2003.jpg

This pic is him right after he got off the plane.
100_2028.jpg

that'll do nicely.
any feelings on how sturdy or floppy the doors are now that you cut the top off (where the window would roll upto)
I have read that they get kinda flimsy, and some people would leave that part on next time they build some half doors?
what do you think?

I cut one without the top frame and didn't like the "feel" of it. It was rather floppy, but I never tied the outter and inner skins together. I think if you weld the inner and outter with some sort of arm rest (as in this example) they would get their integrity back. In my case, I wanted as little door remaining as possible, so I removed the inner skin entirely and kept the window frame. closes like new and no rattles:clap:

004-2.jpg

002.jpg

The doors still feel real sturdy because I joined the inside, and outside skin together witch also created a nice armrest. I also cut a large section out of the inside skin so I can build a in door cooler. I have some dimple dies so I am going to dimple a pice of thin sheet steel, and then weld it in the bottom of the door so water from the ice will drain out onto the outside doorsill.
Mostly I am just messin around, and havin fun with it. Also for the record these doors weigh next to nothing, I am an A&P so light weight with strength is part of what I do.

Last edited:
GermanXJ, Those look really good. Do you have a picture of the whole side of the jeep with the door closed? I don't like the way most halfdoors make the overall appearance look, but yours look pretty good. I'd like to see the whole side of the jeep if you don't mind and have a pic.

GermanXJ said:
Hey shorty I really like your doors also. I bet they give a real good view. The next set I make may be cut farther down like yours.

good view, yes-- but when you get caught in a squall, yer soaked! not quite doorless, but just enough to make you want to change clothes when you get where your going. It's gonna be fun in the mud..........

looks alot like mine...

DSC01426.jpg

oldpics.jpg

Yea I will take a few more pics today. I may try to go find a old castle out here to go wheel by or somethin.
I really like all of the other half doors that have been posted they look good.
I cut these so I could leave the door handle on the inside, it made shutting the door much better than the other options I had.

GermanXJ said:
The doors still feel real sturdy because I joined the inside, and outside skin together witch also created a nice armrest. I also cut a large section out of the inside skin so I can build a in door cooler. I have some dimple dies so I am going to dimple a pice of thin sheet steel, and then weld it in the bottom of the door so water from the ice will drain out onto the outside doorsill.
Mostly I am just messin around, and havin fun with it. Also for the record these doors weigh next to nothing, I am an A&P so light weight with strength is part of what I do.

The doors look good. If you are just messing around I have a set of doors sitting at home that maybe your just might mess up and build me a set. I should be home from Iraq in a few months so hey why not your just messing around right....JK man they look great keep up the good work. I do plan on trying to build a set when I do get backalong with all the other parts I have purchased while deployed. But it does suck trying to get stuff in Germany. So I will see how it goes when I get back........Aaron

Back