• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Evaporator Drain Tubes

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed something odd the other day. A 91 XJ that I parted out a couple years ago came with a long evap. drain tube that actually has molded bends in it as opposed to the simple turn down most of our XJs have.

EvapDrainTubesLarge.jpg

I installed it on my 99 the other day and ever since the water has just been dripping straight to the ground and not through the paper thin frame rails...what a novel idea. Every other Jeep I've paid attention to (88, 99, 01) has just had the shorty turn down. Anyway, does anyone else have the factory longer drain tube? Was it just a 91 era addition?

When I bought my jeep (97 XJ) the AC did'nt work due to a leaking evaporator. Well a couple of weeks ago I replaced the evaporator, fixed the AC and noticed the very short drain tube aimed directly into the frame rail. After a few days I made a longer drain tube out of larger diameter tubing directing the water on the ground instead of all over the frame rail and down the fire wall. Doubt it really matters, but its more satisfying to know all that water isnt going into the frame. Good to know jeep actually outfitted some XJ's with longer drain tubes.

Wilbur said:
When I bought my jeep (97 XJ) the AC did'nt work due to a leaking evaporator. Well a couple of weeks ago I replaced the evaporator, fixed the AC and noticed the very short drain tube aimed directly into the frame rail. After a few days I made a longer drain tube out of larger diameter tubing directing the water on the ground instead of all over the frame rail and down the fire wall. Doubt it really matters, but its more satisfying to know all that water isnt going into the frame. Good to know jeep actually outfitted some XJ's with longer drain tubes.
I can't understand why they used those short ones that shot it right into the frame. I think from now on every Jeep I get my hands on is going to get a longer type, I don't like condensation draining into paper thin frame rails.

Not a factory longer one, but I did go to Lowes and grab some cheap hose to extend it, so that the water runs straight to the ground, and not all though the frame and frame rail, which like mentioned is much more comforting.

Been meaning to do the same thing to the KJ and the truck.....and I actually need to extend mine even more seeing as how it was stock then, and I used to be able to wedge the tube b/w the UCA and the frame.

UNCC_99XJ said:
Not a factory longer one, but I did go to Lowes and grab some cheap hose to extend it, so that the water runs straight to the ground, and not all though the frame and frame rail, which like mentioned is much more comforting.

Been meaning to do the same thing to the KJ and the truck.....and I actually need to extend mine even more seeing as how it was stock then, and I used to be able to wedge the tube b/w the UCA and the frame.
I had a really long hose on mine last summer that ran down by the LCA, it somehow managed to throw water onto my wheels and temporarily stained my MOABs. I'm thinking there has to be a happy medium somewhere though.

If I get a chance tomorrow i'll try to snap a pic of my set up for right now.....gotta try and get the rear hatch open first!

My 2001 Sport had a short stub out of the firewall when I acquired.

I went to the stealership and had the parts guy help me find a fix.
The stock tube with the bend was wayy to short to work, so I asked
him to look through the bins to see what he had that was longer.

As I recall, we used a part from the LHS that gave enough clearance
to not just drip straight down. I stuffed a small piece of tubing in there
and ziptied it to something below so I would not have water running
constantly down the frame. I live in Texas so the A/C is a necessary
evil more months than not.

Ghetto fix, i know, but it still works two years later.

Back