• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Deep snow set-up ?s

kevermt

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to build a xj for deep snow. What is a good tire size/ lift combo? I have a 4.5" lift w/ trimmed fenders. I will not use it for heavy trail use/ rock crawling etc. but I will have lockers and a gear swap. It will see little highway roads. I'm curious to see what guys run width wise for a 33 or 35 inch tire. The rigs i see here in MT are running mixed tire sizes but I have'nt seen xjs mostly Toyotas.

95 2 door auto 4.0 Any suggestions?

If you are going to be in deep snow, I would recommend a wide tire and air down so that you can "float" on the top and not sink in. A 13.5 or 15.5 inch wide tire would be better.

the best thing that sticks to snow is snow, so an AT is better than an MT. MT's shed, AT's clog, but for the most case in snow that's better. i also think pizza cutters are a good choice to cut down through the tall snow onto solid ground... but if it's really deep then you'd want to float on top.... how deep are we talking?

i saw this picture once upon a time and had to save it...

XJ_Iceland.jpg

yeah you're gonna want as wide as possible. i've seen a set of 35x17.5" AT's that would probably fit the bill rather well...

If you go in 6'+ of snow wide is the choice with an A/T. If you are going to street drive it and will see snowy and icy roads with some deep snow then a skinny tire is your best bet. I use the skinny tall tire combo and in the heavy deep snow they do just fine. Although I seldom push it deeper then 3-4'.

where in MT are you? i was creeping around the mountains in up to 4ft of snow outside missoula all winter on 32x11.5 bfg mud terrains. the xj floated pretty well. i would think 33x 12.5s or 35x15s would do a bit better but for the hours i spent up there i had minimal problems

Bassfishn- I'm in Missoula. I'm leaning toward 33x14.5 I want to keep the center of gravity as low as possible so Im not sure a wide 35 would clear.

I've ridden over 80" spring snow. Non gated FS roads over passes can get silly w/ snow depending on locale here in MT

There are a few key things for wheeling in deep snow:

-Low tire pressure

-NO wheelspin...finesse is the key

-Heavily siped tires

-Dual lockers

I'm running 35" Interco TrXus M/Ts and they are magical in deep snow; with my beadlocks I can run 2-3 psi and "float" on top of the snow. Depth becomes a moot point, and the consistency of the snow is the issue.

I drove out of this:

IMG_4338.jpg

IMG_4344.jpg

IMG_4349.jpg

DEEP snow. This sign is about 6.5 feet off the road bed:

Cimg3918.jpg

IMG_4412.jpg

IMG_4410.jpg

2 psi:

2h3vrew.jpg

-----Matt-----

P.S. Bring shovels, lots of shovels. ;)

IXNAYXJ-- You only say they're magical in the snow because thats how Quadratec describes them. :)

Nice pics!!! What lift and tire width are you running? I guess tire width isn't as important if you air down w/ beadlocks. Thnks for the info!

i've heard of airing down... but holy crap 2-3 psi is nuts. certainly looks like it works though. i agree that dual lockers and finesse are essential.

blue95xj said:
IXNAYXJ-- You only say they're magical in the snow because thats how Quadratec describes them. :)
Right.... :rolleyes:

I'm on my second set and I'm very pleased. I get looked at kind of wierd in the CRAWL Magazine parking lot with every other editor's rigs running Krawlers or Creepy Crawlers, but I'm also the only one who DD's his rig. ;)

As to the lift, it's got RE 5.5" coils in front and RE 4.5" leaves with shackle all with Claytons Long Arms. Narrowed HP D44 front/ Ford 8.8 rear, both with full case Detroits and 4.88 gears.

-----Matt-----

Back