• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Repainting the XJ...............

I'm planning on using duraliner or something similar, inside and out... brush and scratch resistant, looks tough and I'll never have to worry about waxing again... but then again my XJ will be a dedicated wheeling rig.

There was a excellent article in a old hot rod where they painted a old Falcon with rustoleum and a........ ROLLER!!!! Believe it or not, it came out sweet!!!!! Lots of wet sanding, but they only had $100 bucks in paint and sanding materials....... I believe they got the idea from www.moparts.com, could be wrong on the website, but someone else out there had to have seen the same story....

Why use a roller? My local auto body store will mix auto paint for you and put it into an aerosol can with a fine spray tip. The rattle can clear coat even has a catalyst you pop inside the can and have to use within 24 hours or it goes bad. My 4 aerosol and 2 clear coat with the leftover as touchup cost me $70. Enough for three coats of paint and 3 coats of clear coat for both fenders pass door and rear hatch.

If you are going to spray w/ aerosol you should use flat or semi-gloss paint and let the clear coat make it all shiny.

www.rolledon.com is a forum for the rustoleum roller jobs, and some people there have said they used Wagner fine tip spray guns to get a good job. It's the wet sanding that does the magic there, mostly.

This is my $65ish dollar paint job. i used krylon camo. it was well worth the money.

Jeep008.jpg

Back