• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U-joint Question-

99xj4x4

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so here is my question...
I was in Tractor Supply the other day and saw they sold u-joints. I happened to have one of my old Tom Woods drive line u-joints in the XJ (my xj loves to eat u-joint and launch drive lines through my floor board) so I went out and got it to compare.. The tractor supply u-joint looked like it was the same size, but the needle bearings were even bigger than Tom Woods ones, and the body looked like it was the same size.

Any reason I shouldnt run a u-joint ment for a tractor?

My only thoughts against it are maybe the u-joint is not exactly the same size (but I would be able to tell soon as I went to install it), I dont know if they are any stronger, and Im not sure if they are designed for higher speed applications.
Any comments?

Very interesting. I have a Tractor Supply in my area. As long as the u-joint is the same size I see no reason why it won`t work. What brand are they?

If the bearings are bigger then the trunnion or cap is thinner. It's not usually the bearings that fail in a ujoint.

No I eat u-joints because I purposely made it my weakest point and Im hard on my shit. The yoke only gets messed up as the u-joint brakes and about 80% of the time Im putting a new yoke on it after a brake.

I think Im going to go buy one today and try it out, ill let you all know how it goes. If it snaps Ill know it didnt work, if it last Ill be happy and have found a new source for u-joints.

99xj4x4 said:
No I eat u-joints because I purposely made it my weakest point and Im hard on my shit. The yoke only gets messed up as the u-joint brakes and about 80% of the time Im putting a new yoke on it after a brake.

I think Im going to go buy one today and try it out, ill let you all know how it goes. If it snaps Ill know it didnt work, if it last Ill be happy and have found a new source for u-joints.
please post the results of your test. i'm in the same situation as you with the u-joints being the weak link and the breaking yokes.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=957420

Unfortunately my XJ is out of commission for probably the next two weeks. I just chopped the to, and am putting in a new 8 point cage, plating the entire floor board, and making seat brackets. I probably wont be able to post and feed back until our Aug Rubicon trip.
But I will post soon as I can.

I am willing to bet you guys are going through joints and yokes because of axle wrap.

BRIANHO13 said:
I am willing to bet you guys are going through joints and yokes because of axle wrap.
please define this term for me :dunno:

altierior said:
please define this term for me :dunno:

Under torque your pinion trys to go towards the floor of the vehicle, because your springs are not stiff enough.

Easily fixed with a traction bar.

BRIANHO13 said:
Under torque your pinion trys to go towards the floor of the vehicle, because your springs are not stiff enough...

probably not the cause of my trouble, at least not on my rear axle. LOL

2008_0516_xjproject47.jpg

altierior said:
probably not the cause of my trouble, at least not on my rear axle. LOL

2008_0516_xjproject47.jpg

Don't bet on it.
I run 8 leaf rear packs. I have "S'd" one out as well as snapped the rear D.S. Ujoints.
Even ripped my first traction bar right off the rear 9 inch housing.

The rebuild I strapped the axle housing and made brackets from 1/4 inch plate for the traction bar.

There is a lot of torque under there, especially if you are geared lower and have a heavy foot.

For most people I would agree, but in my case its not. It could be because I was trying to go up 2 opposing under cut rocks at once without stacking or winching... Well just say the first time it didnt work...
1027071330.jpg

(note the under cut rock on the passanger front, and the other under cut was the rear driver)

99xj4x4 said:
For most people I would agree, but in my case its not. It could be because I was trying to go up 2 opposing under cut rocks at once without stacking or winching... Well just say the first time it didnt work...
1027071330.jpg
but it made for a great picture!

Back