• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

180 degree t-stat with no problems?

xj88superjeep

NAXJA Forum User
How many of you guys actually run a 180 degree t-stat with no problem? Any time my truck goes over 210 it REALLY stresses the plastic pressure bottle. I know I can get the MAC or Morroso aluminum tank, but a cooler t-stat is much less expensive. I think my truck would still run 200 degrees with a 180 t-stat because it's always near 210 with a 190 t-stat. Comments please...

I run a Hypertech 180deg stat with a small hole drilled at 12 o'clock.

Mine's an '01 and I would constantly stare at the temp gauge sitting in traffic, so I tried the 180 for my own mental health.

180 degrees is where the stat begins opening, so the engine will typically still run a good bit warmer than the rated temp, as you surmised. Mine runs about 195-200 most of the time when I'm moving. If I sit in traffic with the A/C on, it now doesn't seem to have to fight to keep from creeping past 210 to 215, etc. As soon as the fan kicks on it begins to drop back instead of just barely keeping up. I hear the Renix systems are a bit more tedious with operating temp, but I can't imagine 190ish isn't enough to kick it out of closed loop. I didn't seem to lose any mileage either.

you are just going to mask whatever problem is making it run hot, likely poor flowing rad

the efficiency of the cooling system will determine what temp you run, not the temp of the thermostat. A 180* therm will begin to open sooner and start circulating the coolant sooner, but once it is open, it's gonna run at the same temp that it did with the original. You may see a slight decrease in temps on short trips as the thermostat opens a little sooner, but beyond that, you're not changing the efficiency or the system once it's open.

I would definately go with the 180 with a hole at 12 from Hypertech.
I live in GA it gets kinda hot here. Worse part about living in GA is that I live Atlanta. not sure if you know much about here, but we have 8 lanes of stopped traffic for 6 hours a day! So I did some research myself, the 4.0L in the Cherokee likes to get a little hot, worsens with te AC on. I found out that a lot of the 2000 XJ's had a lousy single core radiator! Yeah, kinda crappy! You can upgrade to a 3 or 4 core OEM radiator for the less than $200.00, this will bring your temps down as well.

I don't have an overheating problem at all. As I said, when the temp gets to 210 (the middle) it stresses the plastic pressure bottle, and I've already had to put a new cap on my new bottle. This is WITHOUT overheating. So, I want to keep the temps down around 200 instead of 210.

Go to the local junkyard and get the pressure bottle for a mid 90's Mopar. they are made of much heavier plastic and have a REAL radiator cap. The OEM screw-on cap is a frequent pressure leaker and causes a lot of grief.
the Mopar bottle requires you to remove your current bottle and the bracket it is bolted to (2 bolts), then drill 2 holes in the firewall shelf and install with 2 self tapping 1/4" bolts........voila !!

I have a 180 degree thermostat in my 87 Laredo. It works great for me. I hardwired the elctric fan for towing (just for my peace of mind) and believe it or not, the heater really didn't suffer a whole lot. Get a thermostat that stays open when it fails, it will save you alot of headache. Belive me.

xj88superjeep said:
So, I want to keep the temps down around 200 instead of 210.
The t-stat has no effect on how hot your vehicle runs (unless it's stuck closed of course). You can get one that opens at 120 degrees, but your jeep will still run 210. 4.0's are designed to run 210. If it's going above that, you have some other problem.

upgrade to the open cooling system

jrowell said:
The t-stat has no effect on how hot your vehicle runs (unless it's stuck closed of course). You can get one that opens at 120 degrees, but your jeep will still run 210. 4.0's are designed to run 210. If it's going above that, you have some other problem.

Whoever you're listening to is wrong.

IslanderOffRoad said:
upgrade to the open cooling system
I just replaced the ENTIRE colling system, and it's NOT OVERHEATING... I simply asked how many guys were running 180s with no problems.

Thank you to the guys that answered.

To clarify - Mine has never overheated. I only did the 180 for peace of mind... mine has the "crack prone" head and since I'm a squirrel about it I feel much more at ease now that ti spend less time at 210-215.

I totoally agrre that for anyone wit overheating, a lower temp t-stat is not, and never will be a "fix". For those in my situation - wanting a tad lower temperature while still having no ill effects... 180 all the way (with the hole, and prefferably not a hi-flow from the research GoJeep has done). The hypertech is dirt ass cheap too.

xj88superjeep said:
I just replaced the ENTIRE colling system, and it's NOT OVERHEATING... I simply asked how many guys were running 180s with no problems.

Thank you to the guys that answered.

The t-stat opening 10 degrees earlier does not equate to it running 10 degrees cooler.

if it gives you peace of mind, do it, but dont expect a 10 degree temp drop from it.

You guys crack me up! Half of you say you can't run a 180 degree t-stat because the engine is most efficient and the ECU needs it to run 190-210, and the other half say the t-stat does not even affect operating temps... So which group of you should I be scoffing at? If the lower temp t-stat did not lower engine temps, no one would bother using them or even making them. So therefore I scoff at you and will buy a 180 to help relieve some of the pressure on my bottle. Just common sense is saying if the t-stat releases at 10 degrees cooler, the coolant entering the pressure bottle is going to be under less pressure. So thank you for pointing me toward the obvious. :)

xj88superjeep said:
Whoever you're listening to is wrong.
So with your flawed logic, why don't you just take the T-stat out completey... hell, then you would not even need a pressure bottle. your jeep would then run 210 degrees cooler 8>)
Don't get pissed when you ask for comments and people give you comments.
You already made up your mind that it will work, so do it. Why even ask?

FWIW, The reason they make 180's are for people that have cooling systems that work! Yours doesn't! (Mine doesn't either, so don't feel too bad!)

Last edited:
xj88superjeep said:
You guys crack me up! Half of you say you can't run a 180 degree t-stat because the engine is most efficient and the ECU needs it to run 190-210, and the other half say the t-stat does not even affect operating temps... So which group of you should I be scoffing at?

If yourcooling system is working good, putting in a 180 will bring your temps from 195 (if you have a 195 T-stat) to 180. In that scenario putting in the 180 will lower your temps. But your system is not working good, that's why your not running at 195 degrees (ASSuming you have a 195 T-stat)

I also believe 4.0's are designed to be ran at 190-210. So I think both groups are right, and you should not be scoffing at anyone...

xj88superjeep said:
Half of you say you can't run a 180 degree t-stat because the engine is most efficient and the ECU needs it to run 190-210,

I don't believe anyone said that in this thread... Did you come across that in your research and just want to clarify that you disagree with it?

xj88superjeep said:
I just replaced the ENTIRE colling system, and it's NOT OVERHEATING...
If you just replaced everything (including your pressure bottle), and it's NOT overheating, why are you sweating a pressure bottle that is designed to run for 10+ years? If it's all new and working great... what's the problem?

jrowell said:
If yourcooling system is working good, putting in a 180 will bring your temps from 195 (if you have a 195 T-stat) to 180. In that scenario putting in the 180 will lower your temps. But your system is not working good, that's why your not running at 195 degrees (ASSuming you have a 195 T-stat)

I also believe 4.0's are designed to be ran at 190-210. So I think both groups are right, and you should not be scoffing at anyone...
Who ever said my system is not working good? Both of your last 2 posts accuse my system of not working, which in itself is a laugh because it proves you are not even paying attention to the question at hand. My system is all brand new, and is working fine! How many times do I have to repeat that? My question was "who is running a 180 with no problems, because I want to switch to a 180 to relieve pressure on my plastic bottle." Once again, you are arguing in my favor by saying it will work (because my system is working fine) but you still insist that my system is not working for some reason. Maybe just so you can support YOUR flawed argument. And both answers can't be right. Either the t-stat does influence operating temps or it does not. lets keep it real, and not make it up as we go along.

Last edited:
jrowell said:
I don't believe anyone said that in this thread... Did you come across that in your research and just want to clarify that you disagree with it?
Do a search on 180 t-stat...

jrowell said:
If you just replaced everything (including your pressure bottle), and it's NOT overheating, why are you sweating a pressure bottle that is designed to run for 10+ years? If it's all new and working great... what's the problem?

You must not have a closed system renix...

Back