• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rock Lights

mikedashg

NAXJA Forum User
It's summer time, and it's too hot to wheel during the day for me. Lets see those underbody lights for the night runs.

Just put these in last Saturday. The box has been on my shelf forever.

incandescent, or LED?

emr1101 said:
pretty sure those are florescent bars...

Hmmm never even considered it. I have heard the incandescents can be pretty fragile, I couldn't imagine florescent bulbs.

LEDs tucked above the unibody rails with the 'tude that they may get smashed. One of them I'll have to build some protection for.

Tenny said:
Which LED's did you use/ where did you buy them from?

I dunno, they're just some no-names I got off eBay.

C85D4x4 said:
Why Red? I would think white would make it easier on the eyes, and easier to see things.

Thinking back on it, I should have paid the extra 20 or 30 bucks for the color changing ones. But I'm a cheap bastard.

I guess I went with red over white because it's supposed to help keep your night vision. That and white wouldn't have been as cool. :D again, I should gotten the select-your-color deal.

GrimmJeeper said:
mike wheels the piss out of his rig, there's no way they are flourescents tubes.

heh, yeah, flourescent tubes wouldn't last one run. For those who don't know me, they can't see the wrinkled rock rash of what was once my body since it's night time.

I figure these will last at least a couple of runs if I'm careful enough. There's plenty of scars underneath the rig I can see where I've been dragging over rocks. I think they're all pretty safe except one of em. Which I'll have to make some sort of skid plate for it since it's sort of angled.

Mudderoy said:
Hmmm never even considered it. I have heard the incandescents can be pretty fragile, I couldn't imagine florescent bulbs.

Mudderoy, from your avatar, it looks like you've got the same setup. Where your pics at? :D And where are they mounted?

here are mine...walmart specials...
happyfinger.gif

DSC02697.jpg

DSC02698.jpg

mikedashg said:
Mudderoy, from your avatar, it looks like you've got the same setup. Where your pics at? :D And where are they mounted?

jeeprocklight2.jpg

Mudderoy said:

man those would be ripped out in a heart beat on mine....

256offroad said:
man those would be ripped out in a heart beat on mine....

Not to mention rock panel damage for me :D.

But actually, those are kind of trick. I thought I saw them at the off-road expo in pomona, ca. Night eyes? Or night shades? something like. I need two of those up front.

KSXJ said:
If you come accross which ones that would be great. The ones I used didn't give that much flood lighting. They were to directional.

Yeah, I was surprised how much these were like a flood. I think it's because the back of the LED bars are metallic. Helps emit more flood lighting I guess.

I still have the box, so I can look to see if there's some identifying info on it and let you know. But like I said, they've been sitting in the garage for ages, and eBay wont let u go past 60 days so I can't see who the seller was.

Back