• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Guy Electrical

jeepfreak98

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all, I am new to this site as a member, I have enjoyed the pics on this site for a long time and now am a proud member. I have a 98 Cherokee that has 6.5 inches of lift and 33 inch tires. The problem I am having is I will be driving down the road and I will lose my gauges for no apparent reason. When it does this my airbag light comes on. Has anyone else had this issue before? I want to get this fixed, I have seen cherokees burn to the groung before. Thanks in advance for the input.

a common problem with the 97+ XJs is a faulty connection at the plug on the back of the gauge cluster. pull it out, clean all the contacts, and make sure the plug is seated well into the cluster.

A pencil eraser (pink) works fairly well to clean the terminals. An "ink eraser" (grey) works better.

I keep a draughtsman's "power eraser" around for cleaning terminals - it's smaller than the standard erasers, you don't have to push on it, and one small eraser cartridge lasts a good long while.

Once you've cleaned the terminals, use a small pick to pull them up slightly so they "force" a better contact with the printed circuit terminal in the IP.

Back