• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulley Alignment and breaking belts

dhreeves

NAXJA Forum User
I have an '87 Renix 4.0 that is going through belts every 1000 or so miles. Upon closer look I discovered that the Pulley on the crank shaft is approx. 1/3 of an inch forward of the other pulleys. I put a new belt on and just turn the engine over and you can watch the belt slip two ribs off the back of the pulley so thats its in alignment with the others. This is obviously not good and causes the belt to rub somewhere and shred. Any ideas what causes this and how to fix it?

Thanks,

Don

Your harmonic balancer is shot, and needs to be replaced. It's a 2 piece pully joined with rubber inserts on the crankshaft.

There's quite a few threads about harmonic balancer replacement here.

Yep, that was it for sure, I got the old one off and it is shot. Now the problem. I have already ruined one new front main seal trying to get it in, does anyone have any tricks on how to do this? I tried putting it in the freezer for a bit first to hopefully shrink it down enough that it might go in easier but now luck, I just ended up bending it while trying to tap it into place with a mallet.

A stack of appropriately sized washers and using the crank bolt to pull it in? Last time I did it, I use a piece of pvc pipe long enough to reach past the crank snout and a rubber mallet on the end of it.

Only a few tears and minimal blood later I have a new front main and harmonic balancer and the belt actually stays on! Thanks for all your help on this.

Don

Back