• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do you respond to this

88trailcrawler

NAXJA Forum User
Sold my VW bus about 5-6 months ago. The guy was real cool and all and said he loved the bus. Haven't heard from him since.

I even mailed him some parts I found in the garage a few weeks ago.

Out of the blue I get an e mail with the subject: "You got me good."

Says he should have known better than to buy long distance, the motor siezed on him and now he has $2K worth of repairs, then tells me "good luck to you and your kharma"

I told the guy the whole time, that I don't work in cars, I bought it drove it on the weekends and took it to a good shop when something went wrong. Never promised him anything. I toke him I never had any major problems with it, and gave him copies of all my reciepts....not sure what to think of it especially since the guy was real cool during the transaction.

Tell him to blow it out his ass!!!! 6 months later and he says it blew up! well probably cause he didn't take care of it and ran it out of oil. From what your saying your karma is fine!

my $.02

dude, I am with you, he says less than 100 miles.

Anyway...A buddy at work told me he once sold a boat to a guy who won in small claims because of some repair issues they found later....go figure!

I guess it just bugs me that this guy would turn and act as if I knew the engine was going to freeze up.

thats why i always write up a contract

vehicle is sold in as-is, where-is condition. no warranties expressed or implied.

Warranteed to get outta the driveway. :twak:

I sold my ZX-9 and got sued after. When I sold it, I told him I wanted to do a valve adjust but never got to it (bike dyno'd 121whp). He said when his "mechanic friend" went to adjust the valves it needed a Cam (I believe that can wear) and a head!!!! It ran great for me and dyno'd very strong for a 1994 ninja. Anyway, he sued me and lost because he even brought that same mechanic to look at it before he bought it. And also siad he saw me driving it to work everyday!!! haha

I guess its just a crappy world we live in these days where people think they buy a 10, 20 or even 30 year old vehicle and expect it to run like a 2008 honda. ASSHOLES all of them. Tell the guy to go to hell. Don't offer anything up that he could use against you in court.

always write a bill of sale with the words AS IS on it somewhere. i learned that the hard way.

either way tell the guy to F off, once its in his hands its up to him to take care of it. if he cant prove there was an existing problem you deliberatley mislead him about he doesnt have a leg to stand on.

good karma remains intact.

Dude, your Karma is fine. You can't expect to buy an OLD ASS car and have it run like new. Its the buyers responsibility to have it checked by a mechanic (if he wants) before he buys. Unless you deliberately kept it from him, its his problem. Especially 5-6 months later...who knows what the hell he's done to it in that time!

Had the same thing pretty much happen to me last year. Had a bike that I put up for sale put in the add that it was making noise but I wasnt sure what could be simple could be something major had a guy come look at it and after listening to it calling his friend who was supposedly a bike mechanic who told him the same thing he bought it. I told him that I wasnt comfortable with him riding it until he got it to a shop. Offered to put it on my truck and deliver it to victorville for him. Told him not to ride it until he got it looked at and he agreed.

20 minutes after I droped it off he calls me and tells me that the engine went out and it was smoking. "how does it feel to take advatage of people"

A week later I get an email from some other douche saying he traded his bike for my old bike and that I screwed him by not telling the first guy about the bike.

Don't lose any sleep over this. He drove it for 5 months!
I bought (in 1970) a new VW bus, sold it in 1985. In those 15 years, I went thru six (6) engines. Air cooled pos.

I use this form, although slightly modified. I make sure to include AS-IS, with no warranty expressed, or implied. Type in all the info to reduce poor pen-manship, print 2 copies, and tell them to fawk off if they come back in 6 months! I have sold many cars like this, and have never had an issue at all.

Once you buy it. its yours... Dont blame anyone for a problem.

I bought My Cherokee without a test drive! it fired up and i returned with money... drove it home, noticed a few small problems. but i looked at it as MY responsibility to fix it. Not to blame the previous owner.

I bought a used 97 Ford Exploder as-is from a former employer who was a good friend. After the motor had a cracked head, I sent him a letter due to the frustration it caused me but then I later calmed down and knew it was my responsibility since it was sold as-is. Sometimes when your desperate for help, you'll ask anyone, even the seller. bottom line, its not your problem but his and hopefully he'll accept that and deal with it.

djblade311 said:
I bought a used 97 Ford Exploder as-is from a former employer who was a good friend. After the motor had a cracked head, I sent him a letter due to the frustration it caused me but then I later calmed down and knew it was my responsibility since it was sold as-is. Sometimes when your desperate for help, you'll ask anyone, even the seller. bottom line, its not your problem but his and hopefully he'll accept that and deal with it.

Yeah, I was going to say, he was probably just venting, or looking for an excuse for help. It's tough when you buy something and works just fine and not too long after it don't. I bought an old FSJ from someone down in SDSU, had it for like 6-8 months until the tranny blew. I didn't go piss all over the seller. I moved on.

And yes, bill-of-sale, as-is, always got them when I bought used non-dealer. It's C.Y.A stuff.

Back