• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shim uninstall problem...HELP!!!

norcalsnow

NAXJA Forum User
96, 4.0, 30, 8.25, RE4.5, sye.

I swapped the rear 35 with an 8.25 that i got really cheap. everything went together fine. about three days later i started getting vibes after the back was loaded with gear. I then realized that the yolk on the 8.25 stuck out further than the 35 and it was making my d line angle bad with the same shims in there from the 35. The truck is in the air as we speak, shims are out, but the bolt that holds the leafs together in the center of the leaf that lines up the axle in relation to the spring(what are those called) are too long on the bottom without the shims in. I am not sure if i should cut them shorter because if i still have vibes with no shims i hafto put a different angle in.what do i do?????

prob.jpg

Those bolts are called center pins. The head of the center pin should be on the bottom. If yours are upside down, flip them over. The nut should be on the side of the springs opposite the axle tube.

the center pins are on right, they are just to long and are hitting the axe tube through the perch as the u bolts are being tightened.

Last edited:
i dont understand, its not the centering pin (i think thats what you are refering to) that holds the leaves down, its the spring plate and ubolts that does that, once tightened down, the leaves will be compressed and will be flush with the platform. the centering pin is only longer for the shims because it needs to center them higher up.

unless im missing something...

I am not real sure what you are describing either but if your spring pin heads are too long, replace them with hardened steel (socket head)capscrews, you may have to bore out your perches a little to fit the capscrew head. just use c-clamps or big vice grips to keep your leaf pack together to remove old pins and slide in the new.

Last edited:
Back