• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1991 Cherokee

dailrm

NAXJA Forum User
Where is the best place to order new front fender liner/skirt from? Aftermarket or OEM. Has anyone installed the 700r4 in there cherokee? If so do you have any pictures of the shifter setup?

Parts like the fenderliners would probably be OEMR only, with very little aftermarket. You could try TeamCherokee.com (they do a lot of soft parts like that,) or ask a buddy at a body shop where they get theirs (you do have a buddy in a body shop, don't you?)

For the THM700R4 - why for? The AW4 is often compared favourably to the 700, and I've been inside both boxes - the AW4 is simpler and more robust. Also, the early THM700R4 should be avoided at all costs - they were just plain trash up until 1990 or so (they have a fatal flaw which I don't quite recall - but it can't be fixed even with a full overhaul. Easier to just replace it with a later model.) The 4L60 is the same box, the 4L60E is an electronically-controlled version.

However, knowing what I know, I'd stick with the AW4 if that's what you have already (I think the gear ratios are also better.) The THM700R4 can be built up to about the same durability as you get with the AW4 from the factory - it came OEM behind the turbocharged six in the Celica Supra, and lived a good long while in that application...

Back