• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reflexxions cowl hood

i can understand a Cowl hood being functional at low speeds like crawling where heat just rises and escapes out of the Cowl. Highway speeds dont really matter. I thinking on getting me a metal one. Quadratec makes a steel one. there about 399$.. You can try to find one cheaper.

Steel Cowl Hood Part Number 55023.003 Fits 84-01 Cherokee's

OK Edit.. My summer Mag from Quadratec has the cowl hoods for 439 or so.. but I checked there site and its 399$

derrickdrew17 said:
i can understand a Cowl hood being functional at low speeds like crawling where heat just rises and escapes out of the Cowl. Highway speeds dont really matter.
At speeds above 35 MPH or so, the wind baffles off the windshield and gets sucked in the hood through the cowl. At low speeds it should vent out.

I'd like to hear from somebody who's got one if it actually works or not.

derrickdrew17 said:
i can understand a Cowl hood being functional at low speeds like crawling where heat just rises and escapes out of the Cowl. Highway speeds dont really matter. I thinking on getting me a metal one. Quadratec makes a steel one. there about 399$.. You can try to find one cheaper.

Steel Cowl Hood Part Number 55023.003 Fits 84-01 Cherokee's

Cowl hoods were originally designed for highway speeds. i.e. Chevy Camaro...

I purchased the metal one from Quadretac two years ago when it included free shipping; so essentially 25% off.
The hood function and installation can be reviewed @ gojeep's website, http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoBonnet.htm
along with other hood-venting devices. Gojeep, like me, installed the cowl hood. Fits well, looks "bad", you know good.

For cooling i replaced the radiator, (hi-flow water pump, ported housing, and therm. from Hesco), hoses and fluids.

I’ve got the Reflexxions hood, it fits great and it helps the cooling but it won’t fix existing cooling issues. It’s cheaper to paint a steel hood because there are no in perfections in the fiberglass to fix. The only problem I’ve had is you can’t raise the hood all the way because it hits the passenger side wiper arm. Don’t forget the cool factor, there’s not many XJ’s running around with a cowl induction hood.

Thanks for the info. My engine temperature is actually okay, although it does climb a bit when off-roading, and the hood is always freakin hot. My primary motivation here is that I am doing some body work before I paint the beater, and I would rather not paint everything twice, so I am considering getting the hood now even though it's a "want" item not a "need" item.

Back