• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP! Running power wire through firewall!

carmike692000

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, I just bought an amplifier for my audio system, and I'm looking for a good place to run the power wire through the firewall. I've looked a bit from the inside and out, and haven't found a suitable place yet. I'd prefer it go through on the driver side, as that's where the amp is, but I'd take a nice hole anywhere I can get it so long as I can avoid drilling another one.

I figured somebody here has had to have done the same thing. If you don't know of a suitable hole, where's a good place to drill one?

Thanks!

Wow, I can't believe I left that out. What a horrible job of asking a question....my bad...

It's a 1995 Cherokee. The power wire's obviously coming from the battery, and it'll eventually go to the amp which I'm mounting under the driver's seat. So, I'd like for the wire to come through the firewall on the driver's side, as it'd be easier to cross to the DS in the engine bay than in the car under the carpet.

Is that better? :)

Well, I have my driver's side seat out, some trim removed, and the carpet pulled back. I still can't see a hole in the firewall that I can use, as everything's sealed up TIGHT, but there's a flat spot beside where the hood release cable goes through that looks like a great place to drill a new hole. And I didn't come up with that idea on my own...I searched these forums and found it.

There is a black rubber plug next to the heater control valve, You can force it out by pulling on it. Then drill a hole smaller than the wire. Next use a phillips screw driver about the size of the wire and pull the wire through. a tight fit will insure no leaks. You can use a wire hanger taped to the wire to get it inside. It will come out on the pass side below the heater core housing. Just pull the top of the rug a little. The wire will remain unseen and will not be in the way of brake/clutch pedals or other more important wires.

Thanks for the help, folks. Just to give this thread 'closure', here's what I did...

I ended up drilling a hole in the firewall right beside the hood release cable. Perfect place for it. I just finished with the amp and tweeters and everything today.

attachment.php

Back