• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing a rear hatch?

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
i would like to take my rear hatch off my parts jeep and put it on to my DD, only problem i dont know how to disconnect the two wires on each side of the hatch?

where do they disconnect?

thanks

the wire on the right side is for the rear washer fluid. that should just come off. the wires on the left you are gonna have to take off the interior panels on the back left side. just follow the wires and you should find the wire harnesses.

this is for a pre 97 hatch. im not sure about a post 97 hatch.

Sure wish more folks would get in the habit of posting the year of their XJ's when asking these kinds of questions..........

Anyway, to remove the rear hatch on an '84 - '96 XJ, the wiring harness goes from the roof down the driver's side of the rear pilar and the connectors can be found behind the plastic interior panel behind the spare tire. You'll have to then gently pull the long harness up through the pilar and out the hole in the roof. Same with the windshield washer hose, only it can be disconnected in the space behind the hole in the roof.

The '97+ rear hatches are a little easier in that there's not a long harness to pull through the pilar, but getting to the connectors behind the hole in the roof is tight space.

Back